Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was up at lake erie PIB last weekend and took some big wakes/waves/swells what ever you want to call them. I think the best water conditions that I ever seen up there is like the local lake I go to worst conditions, and thats usually 4th of July weekend.

So besides that fact that erie can turn on you like that are there any other lakes out there that can be natsy.

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
This is not a lake but the Chesapeake Bay can get lumpy when it wants to! I think any wide and long body of water can get nasty if the wind is right.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Sure... Oneida Lake, in the center of NY State. I've gotten caught in pretty bad snot a couple of times. Some may find this hard to believe, but minimum of 4's, and possible few 5's. Nasty schidt when you're in a 23 foot boat. But I was able to develop some what of a "rhythm" and got 'er back to the marina ok :) It was actually fun but I cut the trip short because I didn't want to beat up on the poor li'l Nova.... or beat up on my old ars :laugher:

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
eastern end of lake erie can be a nightmare in a hurry, today we were floating in under 2 fters and within a25 minutes or so they were up to 5/6's, we had a blast they were spaced out just enough, and we were quite a ways out, lets just say the front of the boat got powerwashed a few times, me too :confused1

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I think Erie is definately near the top of the list. its shallow depth is what screws you, it just kicks up so fast! I've not boated on many lakes but usually when I tell people I boat on Erie they tell me I'm out of my mind :laugher:

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
how bout the mouth of the chesapeake and the atlantic ocean? The bay is a straight 20 miles across and the Atlantic is about two mile east of my home inlet. The tide runs pretty strong through here also, not something you want to be out in on rough days.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
St. Clair River Can be a mess with all the cruisers, but I havn't seen mother nature make it too big of a mess....but add just a little wind against the current and a lot of big boat traffic and it can get pretty snotty

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Worst day I was out in our small pond (Lake Winni, NH)my father and I thought his couple year old Scarab III was invinceable.

Wind was steady 20+mph (probably higher but who knows) fall wind going straight down the big open part of our lake.

As we reached a mile or so down bumps turned to jumps. A few more miles the jumps turned into ski jumps and another mile ot two down the ski jumps turned into building and that's when we 'pitch pulled.'

Stuck the nose right down into th water at 50+mph , boat of course basically stopped dead as we where just under water (yes, we, as in the cockpit) and next thing we know we are sitting there floating, all banged up, soaked, 40 or so degrees out, and water freakin everywhere. Let bilge run, put stuff back to where they came from, checked hull for visible damage, and then drove home slowly with our tails between our legs.

Yes, we did do this again a few years later but where much better prepared. Helmets ! :laugher:

Moral to story - any body of water that extends just a few miles in one spot, watch your azz ! :D The stronger the wind and/or the longer the stretch of water is the bigger the waves !

BTW: Later on we stuffed a 38 Special too, but not that bad. Just enough to put about 15 feet of the nose thru a series of waves.

I won't guess the size of the waves in either story. I will say they where freakin gigantic though. :laugher:

Be careful out there ! Wherever it is !

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I have seen Oneida lake get real nasty. I have also seen Ontario on some ugly ugly days... But nothing compares to teh few times I have been on the eastern side of Lake Erie... Not sure what it is but It gets some humping conditions when it wants

·
Senile Member
7,270 Posts
Try the gulf stream off the coast of the Carolinas during a strong 50-60kt Nor'easter. Huge cargo ships would disappear in the troughs.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Lake Erie was really bad 2 weeks ago. Waves were crashing up and over Interstate I-90. Police shut down the near lane. Besides seeing it, the worst I was in was L. Erie a few weekends ago. For my boat 3-5ft is bad and we were taking a beating. Worst is when you throw the front side into a wave. Sounds like the boat was going to crack. Broke my radio holder the whole radio fell out and back into the dash. Holder broke right around the opening.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
But going to the first post, theres many times where the lake is a pond. Usually during the week Dad and I try to go down and buzz around Erie. A week of so ago the lake was so calm it was scary looking. We went WOT from Cleveland to Mentor and back. Boat never moved lol Pond like.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.