Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll I attemped to cut the holes needed to install my 20* offset tips and I'm running into a problem. After 3 hours of measuring moving stuff and quadruple checking I began to drill though my offset template with a 4in hole saw. What I am running into now is that with the 4in wide and 2.5 deep hole saw it bottoming out on the transom while on the angle and I am JUST starting to see the teeth from the inside of the boat coming though. I cant find a deeper saw to save my soul except some 200 dollar one online. Any suggestions? Since the gelcoat is now cut in the circle there no way to chip it and I was thinking of digging it out little by little and redrilling. Like remove gelcoat, cut a 1/4 more, remove some wood and cut a little more and so on. I gave up for the night. I'll post pics after I try going at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought about that, but I dont :( Since I'm drilling at an angle up, I need to drill at an angle down and I have about 5 inches above where I'm cutting There no engine hatch like some hipo boats. I removed the doghouse but the motor sits back another few inches under and there absolutely no room, unless I found somebody with an angle drill.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Right angle drill from inside? Maybe rent or borrow one?
Dremel or similar around your "witness marks" from inside?
Good Luck

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
What Jetmech said in post 4.

Or .........

a fine tooth straight blade hand saw would do the trick. Just follow your hole saw "pattern"

Something similar to a narrow blade sheet rock saw, like the ones used to cut around electrical outlets, plumbing, etc. But a FINE tooth, not the 12 tooth per inch type. Bet you could find one at a hobby supply store where they sell RC planes and such.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once the hole is made, should I treat the wood or anything with something to preserve it. From the stuff we took out the transom is 100 solid and dry. These tips are going to be dead even with the water so that worries me. As I mentioned in another post I'll be using3M 5200. Is that sufficiant enough?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Mkos1980 said:
Once the hole is made, should I treat the wood or anything with something to preserve it. From the stuff we took out the transom is 100 solid and dry. These tips are going to be dead even with the water so that worries me. As I mentioned in another post I'll be using3M 5200. Is that sufficiant enough?
Yup, I'd epoxy the raw wood in the hole and then seal it good around the pipes and flanges.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Digging material out as you go will work. I had to do this when I cut a hole in the top of my houseboat for steering cables and wires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts