Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking at an 87 scarab excel 26ft with 330hp 454 and alpha one for $10k. I've been a pretty loyal baja guy, and I dont know much about the wellcrafts, so i'm looking for some guidance. are these decent boats for the money, and is this a fair price with a newer trailer? what speed can i expect from this boat? I looked it up and it looks like it weighs about 4500lbs, so i assume prob 50mph is pushing its luck with a stock 454. although because of its weight, i assume it will prob have an excellent ride quality. is this a safe assumption? thanks in advance for your opinions!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes...kind of a stupid idea if you ask me....bare legs + hot exhaust = bad afternoon.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I remember looking at one in North Jersey. They should not get that hot. The water should cool the exhaust a good bit. One thing to be aware of is the Wellcrafts of that time had a issue with rot in the transom and stringers. I would either get a survey or make sure to check it out very good. The 454 and the Alpha should be ok as long as you are not doing hard hole shots and you pull back on the throttle on re-entry. I have also seen some nice boats in the size range for sale. If you want info on them just let me know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks jrapp! Yea the guy selling it said that they are not super hot, but it would still worry me with small children and such. I may wrap the tips in kevlar exhaust tape so i dont have to worry about it.

i guess the rot problem is with any boat from the 80's and earlier. this boat is super clean and looks like its been the guys pride and joy. very nice shape for being more than 20yrs old. i'll be sure to check the stringers and transom. The old rubber hammer technique works pretty good for looking for soft spots.

if you know of some other boats in this size range, please forward them to me. I'm definitely not stuck on this boat. i actually would rather have a formula 242 or a baja 260/270. the cockpit in the 242 is second to none in my opinion. i would rather not go to something that has twins though. i can only afford to run one engine at a time...lol

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Give me your e-mail. I will send you what I have seen. I love my 242. One day I would like to go bigger but not for a while. I have young kids as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats awesome that you have a 242. I passed one up in ohio...87 242ss, spotless, for 7k. i've been mad at myself since last summer for passing it up.

problem with going bigger in a formula is if you upgrade to a 271 (beautiful boat), then you're stuck with twins. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have twins, but i'm not sure if i want to maintain two engines and feed two engines. it seems a single 502, or something along those lines would be more practical.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
E-mail sent. I have twins in my 242 and it is harder to work on them. The 271's all had singles. The 272 is the one with twins. 89Donzi also has a great line on just about every 242 that is even possiably going to be for sale. I would track him down and see what he knows. I like the bolsters. They are pretty rare in the earlier 242's. There is one I have seen that I could not find again it is the solid red paint on the sides with bolsters. Looks like a really clean boat. I will have to look some more.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are right...I stand corrected on the 271 and 272 stuff

Thanks for the info on the 242's. I've seen the one in New Baltimore before, but couldn't get the guy to respond to my phone calls or emails...bummer

I'd be curious to see some testing and documentation on the comparison of twin sbc's vs single bbc. I'm sure they're out there, but i've never been able to find one. comparisons like weight vs hp/tq. the sbc would be lighter and make close to the hp but prob no comparison on the tq. fuel consumption of 2sbc's vs one bbc (efficiency, carb size, rpm, etc). maintenance cost, sbc's are prob cheaper to maintain and buy parts (also alpha vs bravo parts too).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.