Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am looking to buy a 96 scarab sprint jet for general cruising/watersports etc.
Anybody know anything about the boat or the volvo jet drive it has.
Thanks,
Backdoc

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know Scarabs and I know jets but I don't have any experience with this model. What type of boating do you typically do? That is a fascinating choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our lake is approximately 20km long and about 5km wide. We mostly cruise/play and tube/kneeboard.
The boat is just a great way to get out and wet. I love speed and this one has a volvo penta 4.3l 225 hp motor.
Lake is too small for a big boat and this one still has some class. Don't want to look like everyone else out there. Currently have a 85 Glastron cvx 16.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
A couple of those for sale locally near me. Thought about them a few times. Smaller boats, look like fun. ALOT more substantial (a real boat ) compared to the 4 Winns Fling I got for the wife/kid last summer. Have yet to ride/test drive one, but they must haul...$5k for each I saw. Looked like a good deal since both were great condition. ?? I'd like to drive one to see how they handle and how well they can be controlled/manuvered as I was pretty disappointed in out lil 14 footer. Hopefully someone can shine more light here!!

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I have been on one with teh combo you have. Actually loked to buy one for a river boat at one point but they were bringing too much $$ for what I was spending.

When I researched it I knew of no isses with the Volvo jet combo.. Actually a decent little package. I understood reliabilty to be liek most other Volvo packages... pretty good. The boat handles very nice with the jet as they made a similiar hull with an I/O. As with most jets they can be quick buit not too fast... I think for your situation it would be a great boat for what you want. The jet is safe to be around and will work well with skiing and tubing...
Interior is pretty durable and laid out fairly nicelty...I seemed to find them a lot in Teals or Purples.

I think the best part of it is.,.. You wont loik like all the others out there!!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey JB,

Can you tell me more about your ride in this craft?
Are there any for sale around you right now.
I know of one in Graw Michigan for 7k and another in Wisconsin rapids for 7500, 5k would be even better.
Thanks
Doug

·
Registered
80 Posts
skbackdoc said:
Hello all,
I am looking to buy a 96 scarab sprint jet for general cruising/watersports etc.
Anybody know anything about the boat or the volvo jet drive it has.
Thanks,
Backdoc
I have a 1996 Scarab Sprint, but it has the Mecury V6 and an Alpha drive set up.

Cool boats.

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
I took a test ride in a brand new one back in 96. If I remember correctly they wanted 14k for it. I had a Baja Blast jet boat with the 120hp engine at the time and was looking to get into a more "real" boat. It was a cool ride I thought at the time. I would like to find one again just to go bang around in. I saw one on our lake a couple weekends ago.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Andretti 502 said:
I took a test ride in a brand new one back in 96. If I remember correctly they wanted 14k for it. I had a Baja Blast jet boat with the 120hp engine at the time and was looking to get into a more "real" boat. It was a cool ride I thought at the time. I would like to find one again just to go bang around in. I saw one on our lake a couple weekends ago.
How was the Sprint compared to the Blast?
Whole different animal?
I didn't reall enjoy our 4 Winns Fling all that much. WOT it was fun to run around in, but when trying to hand it to the wife, it was scary with it's "poor docking capabilities"...
Just didn't like it's all around lower speed lack of control. A jet ski is one thing like that, but I can't expect her not to bash the dock etc. I thought the Sprints looked like a riot too, but if anything like the lil' squirter Fling, I'd pass for us. THANKS

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I looked at them real hard when I bought my Baja Blast back in 96. I think they had both a jet and an I/O model that year. Great looking boat, just priced out of my range (about 4 to 5k more than the Baja) I never took a test drive because of the price.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have a 94 3.0lx I/O.... It's fun but I'm always looking to go faster. Next stop....healthy 4.3V6 w/1.50 drive gears. I hear the 4.3 jet combo is good for 55-60mph but it's a gas eater with the jet. my 3.0l is great on gas, but I don't really care at the level I'm at. Some of the big boyz are shelling out the dough for a weekend on the water though. I only wish my sprint was a 20'er for the floor space. 4 people and 2 coolers and you can forget about moving around without climbing over stuff. Also maybe for a better ride in the rough water too. 3-4 footers are about all I can stomach. any bigger and she stuffs if I'm not careful.

I would have to say, for tubing on a medium sized lake it's a perfect choice. But take your time and look for a CLEAN one.... I got mine from jersey off ebay.... I got screwed. but I love my boat so it's ok. :pirate:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts