Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing out my Bennet Trim tabs on my Fastech 271 to the Mercury K-planes. I am doing the final cleanup of the holes left behind from the old tabs. I'm looking for recommendations for the best way to fill the screw holes which are below the water line.

So far, I tried to stuff Structural Fiberglass into the holes and had little success getting the compond in deep enough. These holes are about 3/8" and about 1.5-2" deep.

The larger hole which was for the Bennet Piston, was easily filled creating a plug. These small holes have been a little more of a challenge.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
I filled some holes from underwater equipment that I removed. Packed the holes with marine tex, then gel coated over that. Almost a perfect look other than my gel color being off a little, and the marine tex made a very hard filler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Super24 has the winner here ....but you can also use resin and chopped fiberglass cloth.

IN a small dish or pan use a pair of scissors and trim across the cloth about a 1/4" at a time until you accumulate some fuzz.

Then mix your resin.

add the fiberglass fuzz and stir it in.

apply it to the hole so not to trap in air.

let it kick (cure) then sand and apply gel-cote.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Depending on how rough the inside of the hole is, you may want to drill it out just to clean it up some. Get some West Systems resin, hardener, and silica powder. Mix up some resin, no silica, wet out the hole with this mixture using a pipe cleaner or q tip. Next, mix in the silica to a peanut butter consistancy, feed it into one of those small syringes they sell next to the resin at Boaters World. Get the air bubbles out, inject it into the hole. Tape over the hole immediatly. Let cure, remove tape the next day for a smooth surface. I have tried the dowel method before in my last boat, however due the fact that the transom wood and that of the dowel were both different woods, and the grains ran perpendicular to one another, after a while expansion and contraction from severe temperature extremes caused the Marine Tex filler to pop out, much like nail holes in drywall.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all, for the suggestions. The problem I've been having is that I couldn't get in "Structural Resin" which was recommended by a friend. I already bought a Syringe which after buying the structural resin, I knew that wouldn't work. Now yes, these are small holes and yes the K-Planes will cover these holes. But trying to get the resin in the holes wasn't working. It was hardening before I could get anything in. I am going to review all these again and take another stab at this on Thursday. Goal is to completely get these holes filled and then yes, drill and for the k-planes. I am planning on practicing my gelcoat work on the holes under the k-planes, then move out to all other points.

If anyone has any more suggestions, yes please add them. This is in the last 3/4" from the bottom of my transome. Don't want anything popping out and leaking under the k-planes rotting the transome. So plan well, seal once... (verses measure twice, cut once)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, Thursday's project didn't go as well as I wanted. I went to that big marine store and got more advise/suggestions (they really tried). Anyway, they again suggested I can use a syringe for the structural resin by West Marine; I'd say the stuff is good for holes greater than 1/4" in diameter. Now, I also tried to work with just resin and a syringe; that really failed miserably also. I could squirt in the solution and it would seep out. I tried putting tape over the holes and that worked partially, but left a rim of resin in the holes. So I could try more, but I think I am aborting the resin idea. I figure I can always drill out these holes and try again. The Structural resin has really hardened nice over the week. It's these small holes about 2" deep and 1/4-3/16" in diameter.

I'd really like to avoid the nail popping out possibly like described above. So if anyone has any more ideas, just shoot them on this discussion. I'll plan to update this with my final results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.