Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I decided to pull a bunch of ID's off my engine to try to figure out whats up with my boats performance, and this is what I have come up with.

First off, I have an Arriva 2450 with a 454 ( not sure which 454, please read on )

I have been able to get the boat up to 60mph on GPS in rough water with just me in boat half tank of gas.

When I bought the boat I was told it had this engine in it. GM Performance 12568774 454,425hp and 500lbs of TQ

The boat weighs about 3800lbs, and has a mirage 23p prop on it.

Well something did not add up, with 425hp I thought I should be doing better than 60, at 5100rpm on an empty boat.

So last evening, I got a serial off of the back of the block, it was 10237297. This number is the number that comes in a 4bolt L-29 96 and up GM 454, rated at 290hp, 410tq at 5000rpm. That’s if it was setup with the fuel injection in a late model suburban or HD gas truck.

Right now it has a mid rise aluminum intake and 800 cfm marine carb, and an electric Holley fuel pump.

It was dark so I could not get the numbers off the heads, or anything else, so I’m going back to the dry dock to try to gather more info tonight.

Could I possibly be running a 290 to 300 hp 454 and run 60 mph? just does not seem like enough power to even get me to 60!! WTF??

Does that sound right?

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
61 Posts
You could be right, you never know.
My boat came with a 365 hp magnum 454 and the seller told me he had a reman put in-BULLSHAT!
it was a reman alright 2 bolt main 260 hp piece of crap.
Had it bored and new large port heads put on, pistons, rods the whole frikken deal and still only have a big block pushing about 355-365 hp at best on the dyno but at least its dependable.
Heres a shot of it on the stand
Keep us updated on what you find

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
V-FORCE said:
24' baja 330hp = 56 mph

same 24' baja 425hp = 67mph

223 crownline 330hp = 58mph
Wow, ok, well I guess that takes the sting off a little bit. I mean, it runs great for what I do, I just dont like being lied to.

Any thanks for your help, I will keep the post updated and let you know what I find.

~Mike

PS, this is a vid of the boat at idle one saturday morning on lake lanier north georgia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_0it5L40Ss

Click watch in High Quality for best image.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
V-FORCE said:
24' baja 330hp = 56 mph

same 24' baja 425hp = 67mph

223 crownline 330hp = 58mph
My '24 w/425 HP = 78 MPH! :D

My point, HULL DESIGN! I'm guessing that Arriva has a pretty good sized hook in the hull. If you want to go fast, you'll be $$$ ahead by starting with a fast hull.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Super24 said:
My '24 w/425 HP = 78 MPH! :D

My point, HULL DESIGN! I'm guessing that Arriva has a pretty good sized hook in the hull. If you want to go fast, you'll be $$$ ahead by starting with a fast hull.
You are right, We talked about selling the boat this year and stepping it up to a HiPo Deck boat ( conquest, magic, eliminator etc.. ) now that we know the lake and know what we want.

I posted a link with a vid of the boat, not sure what type of hull design it has.

·
Registered
903 Posts
When I sold my four winns liberator the small block was modified. I gave the new owner and any one who looked at it the reciepts for all the parts, the dates the engine was modified, all the paper work, everything. The new owner and I became good friend after the sale and he has told everybody how honest I am and was with the sale of the boat. When I go to sell my nova spyder next summer I already have people wanting it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I posted before. had a 1989 2452 cuddy Arriva, stock 330hp 454 got 62 tops running empty, no fuel and LOTS of trim. upgraged to custom built 502, 25 pitch mirage ss labed prop and got to 72 mph after MUCH work and lots of $$$$. buy a faster hull and stop wasting money. Loved the hull, step pad design, would fly high in 3 to 4 footers and not pound you to death. But the boat had bad habits above 70, it was exceeding hull design. Trim tabs did not help much. Take a small opinion for what it is MOVE ON.
snivley whiplash

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
snivley whiplash said:
I posted before. had a 1989 2452 cuddy Arriva, stock 330hp 454 got 62 tops running empty, no fuel and LOTS of trim. upgraged to custom built 502, 25 pitch mirage ss labed prop and got to 72 mph after MUCH work and lots of $$$$. buy a faster hull and stop wasting money. Loved the hull, step pad design, would fly high in 3 to 4 footers and not pound you to death. But the boat had bad habits above 70, it was exceeding hull design. Trim tabs did not help much. Take a small opinion for what it is MOVE ON.
snivley whiplash
Well, I pulled one more set of numbers off of the block, and did not learn anything I didnt already know.So I figure for now, I have to assume that I have a L-29 thats got a decent intake and carb on it, and runs 60mph.

Its hard to tell if there is an aftermarket cam in it as the lope is not to radical, but, does hit a little. You can hear it here ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAidf_HC2m8

Either way the boat runs and drives perfectly and I will probably either sell it next year and go for a performance deck boat, or just keep this one for one more season.

If I ever decide to pull the valve covers off, Ill repost this thread, and fill everyone in on what heads are on it, that will really tell the tale. I am reluctant to break that nice NON leaking seal I have going at the moment on the valve covers.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
GMPP 425hp 454 used whatever 454 4 block was available at that time. So, your block # could have been used for a 425HO motor. Your L29 is a 4 bolt block.

The cam will smooth out when you raise the idle. Will also smoothen if you raise base idle timing by a few degrees.

The 425hp motor does not use a large cam.

The 425hp motor has rectangular port heads. The L29 has oval port heads. If you take the # off the intake manifold you will find out if you have oval or rectangular heads.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cfm said:
GMPP 425hp 454 used whatever 454 4 block was available at that time. So, your block # could have been used for a 425HO motor. Your L29 is a 4 bolt block.

The cam will smooth out when you raise the idle. Will also smoothen if you raise base idle timing by a few degrees.

The 425hp motor has rectangular port heads. The L29 has oval port heads. If you take the # off the intake manifold you will find out if you have oval or rectangular heads.
You sir are a @#$% genius.. I have the nimber off the intake, which had GM raised on the back with the serials, and the word ZEUS on the front.

Ill look them up tonight, and even post them here in the morning.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cfm said:

Ok I got the numbers off the intake, but cant find jack [email protected]#$

here is what is on the intake

and a small aluminum sticker that has

51EER6

I am going to continue to search today.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.