Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lately a friend has been thinking of selling his 38' boat. The boat is maintained so it looks better than it did when it came out of the factory. He thinks he wants a boat that is easier to maintain. (like spray off and put up vs. hand wash / dry / etc after each day)
He feelsl compelled to keep it in like new or better condition and he is "thinking" a CC would be easier to maintain. For those of you that have a center console - can you please help out
So if you have a center console, can you please answer these questions.
BTW: He is thinking of a performance CC - kinda like a Concept 32 like Maryland Mark's

1. He is used to a nice 38' boat ride. Will a center console ride good or beat him to death?
2. Is there a CC that will run at least 80?
3. Is the general up keep easier on a CC?
4. What is the fuel economy on a CC w/ twin 300's?
5. If you have one - would you buy it again?
6. Is it a dry ride?

Any other info would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Bill at Harbour marine has a 09 Donzi 38 w/ triple 300xs on order, I would think that will get him close.

last months Hot Boat had a test of 4 CC's the I think fastest was the Renegade 36 or the Glasstream 36 with triple 300's they ran around 75

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
The only 36+ foot CC that will run over 80 is a quad engine Fountain 38. The Hooters boat is powered by 4 Merc 300XS Optimax engines and runs 83-84mph and nobody has been able to touch that yet. They are building another with quad Merc Verado 350's but we will wait to see if its actually faster. I know someone who has ridden on the Hooters Fountain and said it is a rock of stability at speed. Drop your speed expectations down into the 70's and theres a much bigger list of potential boats limited only by ones checkbook. Concepts are nice but they wont get where your friend wants to be. I dont thnik they offer a triple engine and even if they do, they arent the fastest. Sweet boats with a nice ride but not up to par with some of the others.
A triple engine Yellowfin 32 (new model) would get you right there and is an amazing boat. The resale on Yellowfins is great as well but they are not as "sporty" in styling. Yellowfins are some of the nicest riding boats built.
Deep Impact might get you there and is sportier.
Carrera is a nice looking boat but isnt on par with the ones I mentioned.
Theres a company callled Lightning out of Sarasota that builds a very light CC that is fast but I hear nothing but bad things about them. Very flimsy.
Cobra and Mares build CC catamarans that will get you there.

Dinners ready....I'll be back. Check the Southern Kingfish Association boards as well.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The Carrera hull is the same 32-36 hull that won offshore races
both in the APBA and POPRA back when offshore racing was
actually offshore ..
I would say it is more than on par with the others .

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I almost forgot Invincible. Spectre makes a fast one as well.
Then theres the 40' Nortech with big I/O power if money isnt an issue.
Cigerette now has a CC as well but its not particualrly fast.

Carrera is the same hull but not the same company as the old if memory serves. I looked over a new one and was not impressed with the quality at all. If I can see obvious shortcuts then what is hidden under the deck. Just my opinoin and I will also say I have had problems with my Fountain and the companies customer service sucks. I will never own another Fountain. Yellowfin is the big dog right now. Paint one like a sport boat and you would have something pretty unique. A 32 Yellwofin with twin Merc 300's nicely rigged is just under $200k but wont go 80mph.

Fountain, Invincible, and Yellowfin are the only ones I know of that will get you over 80mph with a full t-top. In fishing tournament circles, Yellowfin is the leader in rough water and Fountian in flat water speed.

Yellowfin thread:
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=753374&page=2

mms://media.fountainpowerboats.com/fountainpowerboats/07-kilo.wmv

http://www.yellowfinyachts.com/yellowfinnews.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
My 38TE Fountain only 160 hrs is for sale. Triple 275 Verado's just finished the yearly service and full detail.

A triple 300 Verado engine 36 Concept will only hit low 70's. Plus it is a VERY light boat that fly's off every small wave.

A 38 Triple 300 engine Donzi will hit upper 60's to 70mph. Nice boats but slower than Fountain and Invinsible.

The Spectre center consoles are very nice but very slow.

If you want a fast 36'+ CC Fountain, Yellowfin and Invinsible are the way to go.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mr. Demeanor said:
Whats next Mike?
Something small just to get around the bay and go to resturants! I just am getting away from boating more and more. It is now to a point my wife never askes about going boating.

Part of it has to do with fuel prices but a lot of it has been building up over the years with all the BS boat dealers and mechanics in this industry. That has really pushed me away.

I bought a Porsche 2 years ago and have been having more fun at the track and doing autocross. The local Porsche dealers are awesome and the local Porsche race shop that works on my car when needed is awesome.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
To answer your questions
1 Not generally, there are exceptions
2 Answered by Mike above
3 Undoubtably
4 Not good, but better than when they all had Evinrude two thirst fives on them
5 Probably not. I've had the same one since I watched it built in 1988. I wouldn't want a different one.
6 No such thing if the water is rough, and the wind is blowing

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bill, to further answer you fuel economy with twin 300's on a CC. It depends on the CC but a 32 or 34 Fountain with twin 300 Verado's will get around 1.5-8 mpg. However a 32-38 CC with twin 300's will do around low 60mph. You need a 38TE Fountain with quad 300's or the new Verado 350 to hit 80 or better.

Just for a reference my Fountain 38TE with triple 275 Verado's get's 1.2-.5 mpg at around 36-3800rpm runing 38-41mph.

Go check out www.thehulltruth.com and www.kingfishconnection.com forums and you will find a lot more info on fast CC's.

If your friend will settle on a 73mph 38' CC I will make him a heck of a deal on a like new 38 Fountain.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Fever Mike said:
Bill, to further answer you fuel economy with twin 300's on a CC. It depends on the CC but a 32 or 34 Fountain with twin 300 Verado's will get around 1.5-8 mpg. However a 32-38 CC with twin 300's will do around low 60mph. You need a 38TE Fountain with quad 300's or the new Verado 350 to hit 80 or better.

Just for a reference my Fountain 38TE with triple 275 Verado's get's 1.2-.5 mpg at around 36-3800rpm runing 38-41mph.

Go check out www.thehulltruth.com and www.kingfishconnection.com forums and you will find a lot more info on fast CC's.

If your friend will settle on a 73mph 38' CC I will make him a heck of a deal on a like new 38 Fountain.
Mike, I think you left a period off before that 8 on the first mpg rating. I'd run about 100 miles in my Biddison with a single 175 Johnnyrude and burn about 40 gallons or less. It has a 48 gallon tank. Forty miles out, forty miles back, run to the boat launch and back, and that wasn't counting any miles trolling, if I decided to troll. I love my CC.
This picture was taken right after I repowered, and had hydraulic steering installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
BillR said:
2. Is there a CC that will run at least 80?
I never said I wanted one that would run 80. ;)

The fuel economy is certainly disappointing though. Those big Verados drink as much gas as my 525's!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Selling the boat and getting a Center Console??? Questions!

macklin said:
I never said I wanted one that would run 80. ;)

The fuel economy is certainly disappointing though. Those big Verados drink as much gas as my 525's!
I wasn't reffering to you. I know you mentioned you liked the idea of a T-Top though.

My freind has lined up a ride on some CC's. BUT, seems to me that the maintainence is different - but just as much.
Fuel economy - if you want to have a CC that goes at least 70 - is marginally better, but not by much.
The ride is worse because CC are lighter.
They are a bit more user friendly

It would be hard (for me) to give up something as nice as what one already has for something that is not leaps and bounds better. Now if it got 3 to 4 MPG and rode well and I had a crew to clean it all the time. . . . . . . . . . . :bigsmile:

BTW: I'll bet @ Cruise, your 525's don't drink MUCH more than your old 496's. I am also confident your AT is a more efficient hull than your old PQ. If you are cruising @ 50 mph, it only takes X-amount of HP to cruise at that speed. I wouldn't matter if you had 496's like Sydwayz or 525's like you have. At cruise the 496 boat will consume the same amount of fuel as the 525 boat. Granted fuel prices SUK; but I filled up on the water last Sunday. Gas was about a buck more. SO WHAT! In the grand scheme of owning a boat, gas is but a drop in the bucket. It cost me 90 bucks more. I could save that much a week by not eating out twice a week, or not going to the ABC store, or not buying some new type of wax, or cancelling lawn care, or not adding some _______ to my boat. . . . . . Am I right?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not Right said:
sounds like a "top fish" and a couple kids are just what you need.
Um - NO

Going out today Pete?
Most of the HRPA is going to Chippokes.
Love to see ya there.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Selling the boat and getting a Center Console??? Questions!

BillR said:
I wasn't reffering to you. I know you mentioned you liked the idea of a T-Top though.
Yup! Would love to be able to boat in shade. So who else is taking about going CC?

You are right about the 525/496 comparison. They do use about the same amount of fuel at 50. It's just hard to keep it there. ;)

·
Registered
12,354 Posts

BillR said:

My freind has lined up a ride on some CC's. BUT, seems to me that the maintainence is different - but just as much.
Fuel economy - if you want to have a CC that goes at least 70 - is marginally better, but not by much.
The ride is worse because CC are lighter.
They are a bit more user friendly

It would be hard (for me) to give up something as nice as what one already has for something that is not leaps and bounds better. Now if it got 3 to 4 MPG and rode well and I had a crew to clean it all the time. . . . . . . . . . . :bigsmile:

BTW: I'll bet @ Cruise, your 525's don't drink MUCH more than your old 496's. I am also confident your AT is a more efficient hull than your old PQ. If you are cruising @ 50 mph, it only takes X-amount of HP to cruise at that speed. I wouldn't matter if you had 496's like Sydwayz or 525's like you have. At cruise the 496 boat will consume the same amount of fuel as the 525 boat. Granted fuel prices SUK; but I filled up on the water last Sunday. Gas was about a buck more. SO WHAT! In the grand scheme of owning a boat, gas is but a drop in the bucket. It cost me 90 bucks more. I could save that much a week by not eating out twice a week, or not going to the ABC store, or not buying some new type of wax, or cancelling lawn care, or not adding some _______ to my boat. . . . . . Am I right?
My Formula would run right at 50mph @ 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts

BillR said:
Gas was about a buck more. SO WHAT! In the grand scheme of owning a boat, gas is but a drop in the bucket. It cost me 90 bucks more. I could save that much a week by not eating out twice a week, or not going to the ABC store, or not buying some new type of wax, or cancelling lawn care, or not adding some _______ to my boat. . . . . . Am I right?
I like your line of thought but it proves how messed up the economy is. In order to keep your hobby going you have to give up something else. Just sucks.

I think CCs are pretty cool just not my cup of tea. I like creature comforts. I feel the waters are over fished anyways. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts