Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand it's probably not the best time to sell, but the boat is running great and I really want a center console. IMO they make more sense for my area and the boating that I enjoy.

My issue is that I seem to do the same thing with all the boats I own, I spend a lot of money getting them redone then sell it for a huge loss. Am I the only idiot doing this or does everyone else make out better?

Here are my figures,
2000 Powerquest 280 Silencer
bought in 2006 for 46K
new exhaust fall 06 - $1.5K
Winter 06/07 - gimbal and bunch of other repairs - 3.5K
winter 07- trailer redone 1K
summer 07 - Rebuilt 502 7K
spring 08 - rebuilt OD - 2.3K

total $60K into boat
projected listing price - 37-38K :eek:

Then I have to come up with money for the new boat, i think I just answered my question, it's not a loss until I sell it ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Sharp rig. I'd have a hard time parting with that PQ. Mine wasn't nearly as nice and I still miss it ALL the time. NOW the wife and kids say they do too...
figures :(

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Not Right said:
I spend a lot of money getting them redone then sell it for a huge loss. Am I the only idiot doing this or does everyone else make out better?
Welcome to the world of perf. boats! I think I've spent nearly what I originally paid for my boat in repower/upgrades/repairs. It MIGHT be worth what i paid for it.

My last boat, plain old cuddy cabin boat, I used it for 6 seasons, put LITTLE $$ into it, and sold it for about 80% of purchase price.

It seems like if you buy a boat that's 2-3 yrs. old, then sell it before it needs to be repowered you can get out alive.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Pete,
I think you would be wiser to keep what you got right now.
I was asking questions about a CC on the forums. Got lots of info - LOTS of PM's and after sifting through all the info I received - this was my conclusion:

A CC:
1.does not ride as well as a perf boat
2.Are slower - take more HP / Motors to make speed. Won't even go 80 MPH
3.are no less work or less maintenance unless you just don't care about it.
4.To get to 70MPH w/ 35' CC - fuel economy is about same as perf boat.
5. Unless you get a Concept,Spectre, Glasstream - CC are plain & boring looking.
6.Now that your have your boat in good shape - why get rid of it and start over???
7. You will miss the big block sound

I believe you will kick yourself in the arse a year from now if you sell.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you look at it from a current value point of view, I would say you have one hell of a nice boat for $37K. Why start all over again?

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
well the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. If your like me, I'm sure you could sell your PQ buy a CC and be happy for a year or 2 but then you'll start to question your decision and you'll want something else...that's just life.
so far in my young adult life I've done what you've described (fixing up a project for a loss) about 3 times...l only with cars. I'm sure it will happen with my boat as well.

on the flip side, if you do sell it for a loss, remember all boats are horrible investments, you loose no matter what and you can't take it with you (the boat nor the money) in the end anyways
:bigsmile:

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it doesnt go 80 now so not going 80 isn't an issue. I guess if I want to fish I have plenty of friends with CC's, so I guess for what i use the boat for (lying around and having a beer or two) I should probably keep it for a while.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Agree with the loss thing.. I purchased my last boat/trailer for about 78k, dumped well over 30k in it over 3 years in upgrades/fixes, and sold it for 73k. That loss hurt and now I am boatless because of it, still haven't saved enough for a down payment... :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts