Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 1989 alpha 1 Drive, The motor has been idling rough and not reaching its usual 4600 rpm max. I pulled the boat and noticed that the exhaust bellows has ripped in two from wear and tear. Would this be a cause of rough idle or should I look into other areas for possible diagnosis. I'm going to check the ignition and fuel flow to make sure there might not be several causes for the rough idle and failure to reach my usual max rpm. Any other suggestions you guys would have would be greatly appreciated. Gotta get it ready to put up for sale !!!

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
No the exhaust bellows is not the cause of rough idle. There are some sporty designs that are no longer than yours ripped as it is. Reversion flaps could be burned out though.
I would think towards settings and tune.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks, I have it up on the trailer I'm going to replace the bellows tomorrow hopefully and then start diagnosing the problems, do you have any suggestion for the rough idle and failure to reach 4600 hundred max rpm idle, This is my first boat, and I'm not to well versed in the proper workings of a carburetor, I have been consulting my mercruiser manual but I'm alittle disappointed in its specifics. I checked the fuel filter and it seemed clean, I have have not check the fuel pump(its the original) or the plugs, I know I should also check the the distributor and cap to check for proper ignition any insight would be awesome.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I have the new exhaust bellows and attached to to the transom end first and it went on no problem, But I cannot get it on the stern drive end the manual shows that the stern drive needs to be dropped. I was trying to stretch and fit it over the other end but it just won't make it, Do you guys have any tricks I could try or do I really have to drop the drive :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Usually you need an exhaust bellows expansion tool, & you need to pull the drive...

I never could understand or figure out why they had to make the exhaust bellows so friken tight..

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I have done with outdrive still on boat. Just needed 2 helpers. I held one side on the transom, 2nd set of hands held other end on the outdrive, and third person turned screwdriver tightening clamps. It was NOT easy, a tight fit in there just trimmed all up, but got it on.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wanted to give an update

So I got the bellows on without dropping the drive, what a ***** that was. Got to hand it to the old man, He built this tool that pinches the outside of the bellows and holds it so you can stretch it over the out drive. Its patent pending......just kidding !!! I have also put in new fuel filters both the oil style and inline filter. The boat seems to be idling like normal again. I put new plugs in the right side of the motor, But I can't get my hands in on the left side to replace those plugs got. Got any suggestions. the hatch access is not centered around the motor and there is about two more inches of space to work with on the right side. I don't know what Well Craft was thinking??? Was kinda disappointed and pissed !!! Also I checked the coil and this being a thunderbolt ignition, the coil is oil filled and I noticed the seal is cracked/broken and oil is leaking onto the terminal which then leads to the distributor cap. So that part will be here late next week!!!! I'm going to put itback in the water and run it to make sure its running strong again

Wouldn't be boating if @#$% didn't break once in awhile huh?

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Hope you used bellows adhesive, or it will pull off again. Those things are so darn tight!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did but, by the time I got it on, adhesive was all over the place so we'll see, Keeping my fingers crossed, I haven't been for cruise in two weeks and the summer is running short !!! I'm putting it in today and go for a test cruise Hopefully its good to go !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts