Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been beat to death, and I just read about 40 threads on it trying to find an answer on this. What would happen if I just blocked the holes in the bottom of the platform? There would be no water inside obivously. I'm guessing it would be too hot for the platform to handle but just curious if anyone has tried it. I have already cut the baffles out but still need a little more without too much work.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
BOP- No worrys if you wanted to you could. The heat will not effect anything because you are running water into it from your exhaust. In fact when i first bought my old 272 it came with plugs to put in those little holes. :)

·
Platinum Member
1,495 Posts
I suspect it would be quieter... you have more water coming out the exhaust tips then you would with them out.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. I guess it would hold the water in until it overflowed out the tips? On a side note, do you have any pics of your bimini Kjo43? Looks good in your avatar there and I'm thinking of doing one.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great, thanks guys. I'm getting one made in the next month or so and just looking for some ideas. I also think I just hijacked my own thread. Lol.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hot'n'Bothered said:
If you drill the holes in the bottom larger the water will drain faster and the boat MAY get louder.
Also correct :D

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
OK I've been everywhere in my Silent Thunder and have to ask 'WHAT HOLES""
??

There are 1" holes in the corners to allow for water to drain out (those are the ones that drain on the way up the ramp) when trailering. These holes also drain most of the water out when up and running on plane so the water does not really "fill" the platform when running.

Then there are the 4" holes with caps/plugs in them that were used for access during maint. of the ST some time.

I know my ST did not have any holes except the 1" ones in the corners. I added the 4" with caps/plugs

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
They are the drain holes you are referring to. Making them bigger allows them to drain faster. What are the 4" holes you are talking about? i don't have those.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
opie272 said:
There are 1" holes in the corners to allow for water to drain out
(I know my ST did not have any holes except the 1" ones in the corners. I added the 4" with caps/plugs
BOP is correct. If you drill out the 1" holes, the water from your exhaust will drain faster and might actually make the boat a little louder. It won't give you much but it could help.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts