Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

Do you like standing or sitting when driving?

• Sitting

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Standing

Votes: 50 67.6%
  • Inbetween

Votes: 11 14.9%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer when driving. I like to stand personally. I have a fold up bolster that I can lean up against for some extra height but what I really want is a the drop down seats, I'll have to wait for the next boat for that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
With the right seats sit down is much better. I always said I preferred stand-up, until I rode in a few skaters. whether its a 28 or a 46 they are the only way to go. When idling it is a little tuff to see but not bad. In my boat, I would rather stand-up, but if I put skater buckets in I would love it.

But to each his/her own!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
SweetEmotion said:
I like to stand up for a better view at all speeds, gotta keep an eye out for drift wood and everything else
I stand 24/7 unless were just ideling up the rivers. Sometimes theres 10-20ft logs floating in L.Erie

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Standing,,
sitting feels too easy if that makes any sense,
too much like driving a car
dont feel as "connected" I guess.

PS: this poll has been already done on here a couple times.
:)

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
My boat is a sit down boat, I have ridden in stand up boats and I much prefer sitting. I have very cushy and very tight buckets in my boat, I'd have it no other way.

Idling in my boat is tough because its hard to see over the bow, but i'll usually just sit on the side of the boat or stand between the front seats if necessary.

I'm a fairly skinny 5'10 170 and I have to PUSH myself down into my seats.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I stand 95% of the time. I just could not understand having a boat that I HAVE to sit in. I stand even in cruisers. Then again it might be because I need a boost seat seeing I'm short. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Totally depends on the boat !

I always stood ! Until I got a small boat !

If I stand, the windscreen will be at my thighs (steering wheel at my knee caps and seat botton at my calfs) and I'd go overboard very easy !

Take a look. That's the top of the windscreen you see at bottom of vid. My wife is 5'1" or so. Just to give you a visual.

<object width="600" height="450"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/frqhwYMVKx8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/frqhwYMVKx8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="600" height="450"></embed></object>

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I grew up in sit down single engine outboards.... I prefer to sit & relax... that & my knees have "accelerated depreciation" from my younger more athletic years :( ... knees can;t take standing & pounding for long anymore... that was one of the reasons I really liked my Fountain... you have the choice... most of the other big boats don;t allow enough room to put your feet out in front of you... your knees hit the dash or wheel.... that & I love the "beak" ;)

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I do both, but I'd say I sit down more than stand because I have seats, if I had a boat with bolsters I'd be standing.
And like CFM stated, when you have a small boat, it just makes more sense to sit..
If the water is smooth you can stand at any speed in my boat, but if you come up on someones big wake or rough water at WOT, you better sit down really fast and hold on, because the boat will launch, and get airborne, and the landing will make your knees buckle and you will find yourself on the floor and hurting.. and don't ask how I know this.. :D

·
Founding Member
923 Posts
I like to be on top. What was the question again?

Depends on the boat. I can sit or stand in the Fountain. The Outerlimits is tall and I have to stand or I can't see in front of the boat very well.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
sit when running, stand when idling. no choice really the deck doesn't even come up to my waist! one bad wake and I'd be in the drink!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I usually stand, I like to see if there's anything in the water, but being behind the windshield is nice as well, especially if there are bugs out.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
If your are in big enough water, you will want to be burried into the bolster as deep as possible. I stand when I need to see, but squat down so I don't get thrown. When it's calm, I lean... on the throttles. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts