Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the proper way to get air out of hydraulic steering while still in the water ? ( rams are under )
I changed all the hoses to new ,now it wont steer after I filled up the resovoir .

I can turn the helm real fast back and forth ,and steering will semi react .

After the makefunners get done with me :laugher: :D ,will some one give good usable advice ?
Thanx . :)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Remove the hoses from the actuators from the inside of the boat that go to the helm. Connect those hoses that you removed from the actuators together to form a "loop" for your hydraulic system. You can splice in a clear line with unions to aid in "visual checks".
Now, turn the steering wheel left, (or right) over and over and over. Just not back and forth left one and right one.
Like 20 continuous revolutions each direction.... this will bleed the lines going from the helm to the pump.

Once you have confirmed that all the air is out of the lines going from the helm and pump....reconnect the lines to the LEFT side actuator. Turn the steering wheel to the LEFT and drive the steering rams all the way to one side. Now connect the RIGHT side lines.

Cycle the steering back and forth minimum 10 times and then check for air in the system.

Service the reservoir and keep it full at all times during this whole process and you will be OK.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Any time I've had to open my steering system, it would self bleed after turning the wheel lock to lock a few times.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx guys .I'll try it this weekend .

lock to lock ? It never stops no matter how many turns ?

How did you know pump was bad ?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Super24 said:
Any time I've had to open my steering system, it would self bleed after turning the wheel lock to lock a few times.
If the system is solid and no major problems then your self bleeding lock to lock will work.

But if there has been a significant amount of fluid loss then it gets more difficult due to the fact that the pump will cavitate and create foam out of the fluid that IS pumped.

That is why I suggested to bleed the lines from the pump to the helm without the actuators connected. That way MOST of the air will be purged before connecting the actuator(s).

With a massive amount of air in the system it is more difficult to get a good purge in a couple tries.
Depending on how the lines are routed in the boat it may be almost impossible to get a good purge without disconnecting the actuators and getting enough flow to move the trapped air.

Like always... JMHO

But based on personal experience.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx opie . I will be using youre approach . It makes sense . Its frustrating to have a 22 velocity just sitting in the lake .

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey opie ! I just went down and tried the 20 turns . It did lock after 19 to theleft ,then about 13 to the right . Wheel felt great . Thanx

After a few minutes it went back where it was , not a bad tho .
I'm obviuosly compressing a lot of air . The vent on the resorvoir was spitting air and fluid ( making a mess ) thats good right ?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
On a new system, you may have to do this a few times. Once it gets relatively solid, go out and run the boat. That will also help purge the little bit of air that can still be left in system.

When your initially purging air out, you will get some foaming & burping as trying to get air out. Make sure your keeping reservoir filled.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
klatwo said:
Hey opie ! I just went down and tried the 20 turns . It did lock after 19 to the left ,then about 13 to the right . Wheel felt great . Thanx

After a few minutes it went back where it was , not a bad tho .
I'm obviuosly compressing a lot of air . The vent on the resorvoir was spitting air and fluid ( making a mess ) thats good right ?
Hey it's a start.
Like 32storm said...
Keep the reservoir full.
Just take it SLOW till all the air is purged. I have been running around 75 and had the steering uncontrollably turn left. Had to steer turning right constantly to go straight. :confused1 I had gotten a lot of air in my system due to overheating :rolleyes:
With the air in the system it will have a tendency to get hot. The "solid" fluid (no air) is what keeps the pump and helm cool.

One way you might try is turning the helm lock to lock, with the motor off and the pump not running. That will allow the helm to act like a pump and possibly purge air back to the reservoir without overheating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts