Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the other thread about the accident where the car was hit by a tractor trailer and basically cut in half. This got me thinking about those new smart cars. How in the world can those things pass safety tests. I just cant imagine getting drilled by a suv let alone a tractor trailer in one of thoes.

I think for now ill stick it out in my f-150. At least I have half a fighting chance if I get hit.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Somewhat impressed it holds its shape, but keep in mind you'd be dead, your body could not withstand the trauma of stopping that quickly. Though I doubt you would fair much better in a fullsize truck running straight into a wall at 70 mph.....assuming thats the video I watched a few months back.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to me it seems like the lack of a crumple zone would make surviving a head on crash pretty rough. Yeah it may hold its shape and you may be in tact at the end but your internal organs will be mush. Im not saying a full size car or suv will be much better but it just seems like with the extra crumple zone it would have a better chance of dispersing the energy into the car and not the person.....

·
You BLOT that schit!
2,692 Posts
I think we'll find in the coming years that a lot more passenger cars will be smaller, or should I say a LOT less will be huge. In the future when you don't have Hummers, Tahoes, Armadas and a whole host of other large SUVs on the road the playing field will even a little more. Look at most of Europe, between diesel power and smaller vehicles, they have done what they HAD to in regards to fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
It amazes me how many people will state they would never own a small car becasue they are "unsafe" then hop on their Harley and head down the road :confused:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mr. Demeanor said:
It amazes me how many people will state they would never own a small car becasue they are "unsafe" then hop on their Harley and head down the road :confused:

Not me my friend. Motorcycles scare me to death. I love riding dirtbikes, 4 wheelers etc off road. However you cant pay me enough to ride a bike on the street with all the crazies out there......

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
What get me is that the Smart Car really doesn't get that good of mileage, especially due to its size. 33 city and 41 highway, you would think something that size would be getting way over 50mpg

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Red Stripe said:
What get me is that the Smart Car really doesn't get that good of mileage, especially due to its size. 33 city and 41 highway, you would think something that size would be getting way over 50mpg
x2 I agree for being the size of a golf cart the MPG's on those things suck! heck for the same price you can buy a toyota corolla and get double the space and at least then you have something that resmebles a car vs. a toy.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Red Stripe said:
That is bad. I get that out of my 4 dr Saturn with 150k on the clock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts