Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given all of the boating experience here @ Speedwake, you all probably have some good [harrowing] breakdown stories...

I'll leave it to Jeff to tell you his (or not), but I'm really interested in hearing your best/worst stories of how your beloved vessels stranded you on the water and how you managed to get back on to dry land. ;)

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
I have numerous, but I'm afraid to tell any. This would start the obnoxus family on a 1boatnut bashing spree again. So I will just let him tell them. This is the thread he has been waiting for. Why ruin his fun. It's all he has:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I would,,,,,but I am not sure where to start !!!! If I started in order of occurence ( since I have known you) it starts with an argument.

2055 Bayliner open bow 10-12' seas = I say sunk ( the hull was touching sand ) boatnut says swamped,,,( you could still see part of the boat ) there is truth to both storys,,, all I know is if it was in deeper water, it would have been under !!!! To his credit though, I will add after several hours of us bailing, draining the fuel/water seperator, and just a little towing ( I still have the scuff on the back of my boat to prove it ) the damn thing did end up back at the launch under its own power !!!!

This was definatly the most dramatic !!!!!

The rest we can talk about at a later time!!!!

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
So the Nut sank/swamped his little toy boat did he............................hmmmmmmmm this couldn't be true now could it?????

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
again, I'll let obnoxus tell all the stories.You figure it out.

He needs the posts:laugher:

See everytime I answer,he can answer 5 times. People helping people:laugh:

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
For that we would need a whole other website.

Again,I'll let obnoxus tell the STORIES.
After all STORIES is what he does best.:rolleyes:

See I just gave him another 15-20 posts. And if his wife sees this it will get to 4 pages before I get home from WORK:D
Thats only in 3 more hours:p:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
So far so good,,,,, not stories about me,,,,yet!!!!

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Hey Nut, so far you got him on posts 3 to 1 in the thread:D :D

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
ooopps 3 to 2 sorry:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
your right on my heels to,,, I can't even walk away from the computer or you'll pass me !!!

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Yea but you have caught and passed me in just 1 week...:D :D :D You are the Ho!!!!!!!!! or should I say Mister HO?

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I have too many stories like this to tell. Stranded in Lake Michigan all night in a 67 Chris Craft Lancer, Taking on water in my old Baja 190 Sport (and boy was it taking on water:eek: :eek: ) Popping my lower unit in Spring Lake (when my wife thought I was at work) Boy, I could go on but I hate thinking about it all (and I would be typing for days:laugher: :laugher: )

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Hey Redstripe,,, you and Boatnut have ALOT in common !!! He chews up drive pretty good to !!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
Boatnut and I are opening a driveshop to,,, if we can rebuild his outdrive in his driveway Saturday night at midnight and get him back on the water the next day, I am thinking we can make a couple bucks doing this on the side !!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here's a play by play:

I was working as a sweep boat for an offshore race here in MD on the Chester river. About half way through the race I spun a coupler and stopped moving. So I throw out the anchor and become a spectator. When the race is over I sheepishly ask racecom if I can get a tow in. Well there is a Wellcraft St Tropez that has an all woman crew nearby and she says they'll pull me in. So we hook up and she motors along about 6 knots back to Kent Narrows where the race is being run from.

Then the fun begins-there are all the race boats coming in. There are 3 other boats being towed in. There are about 1000 spectator boats trying to get a look at the race boats. And there is a poker run just pulling in at Red Eye's dock bar to coincide with the race.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I gotta hand it to Carmen-she drove right into the middle of it all-a 32 foot boat pulling a 23 foot boat on a 30 foot line. She put one of her pals up on the front with a bull horn and shooed everyone out of the way. We barely broke stride until she pulled me all the way up to the ramp across from the race site-I was out of the water faster than if I had come in normally:D

Needless to say my bar bill that day was a little high after buying all the ladies drinks as "payment":cool:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
What an ASS ,,, the guy is at a bar,,,,,,,,,,,, 1 guy and a boatload of girls,,,,, yeah,,, I feel sorry for ya !!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, at least he got in ok, had drinks with some pretty ladies, and hopefully got some sympathetic hugs out of it.

Jeff and I had an experience on the C&D Canal where a truly terrific lady and her family saved us when his newly christened engine conked-out after catching air and coming down hard.

We were in the middle of the channel at the time, but since we didn't have an anchor (it was on the Sunsation), that soon changed as the current quickly moved us toward a jetty of jagged rocks (of course!). As Jeff tried to restart the engine, I tried signaling for help, but powerboats and sailboats alike passed us without a second glance. Just as it looked like we were destined to crash into the rocks, thankfully a pair of boats came by and towed us to a nearby pier. We tied up there, and Jeff began to tinker with the ignition.

Turns out the pier belonged to an elderly woman, Ann, who had lived and worked on the canal many of her 70 plus years. Her family was having a backyard party for her son who was a marine engineer (what luck!). She offered not only his help, but electrical tape, connectors, wire, flashlights and eventually pie, coffee, and a ride back to the marina (35 miles away) when it became obvious the boat wasn't going anywhere despite Jeff and her son's best efforts to rewire the ignition.

We got Jeff's truck and returned to Ann's house around 10:00 p.m. to do what seemed to be the impossible... get the boat from Ann's pier to a ramp several blocks up the canal and then onto the trailer all without engine power in the bitch black of night. After pushing Jeff off the pier as hard as I could, I walked along the sea wall and watched him paddle the boat all the way to the ramp where he perfectly timed his turn out of the channel toward shore. We were then able to use our extra long line to pull the boat in the rest of the way.

What started out as a late afternoon cruise turned into a very long night, but at least we didn't have to go home without the boat. Thanks Ann!:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
DUDE-notice that I used the word Woman and Ladies. Not to be coarse, but there were no "girls" to be found. If you find a "girl" with the cash to buy a 32' Express cruiser, let me know:D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH now the picture is clear,,,, so what your saying is there were no skimpy bikinis on that boat huh !!!!:D :D :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.