Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was talking to someone a little older than me the other day and they were compairing the gas crisis of the 70's to the high prices of today.

He said that one thing that helped back then was alot of the truckers going on strike. He said that they basically put a halt to goods being moved into and around the US.

Now I dont really know how much truth there is to this since I was just born in 78. So I ask everyone at what point does the public start to make a move, wether its something like truckers going on strike or out right riots.

Or will nothing happen and we will just keep on complaining and adjust to the prices...

·
Registered
713 Posts
The problem is everyones looking to everyone else to make a move. No one want to take the the first step, the American public has become lazy. Some truckers on the east coast tried a strike a few months ago, it got them no where. Goverment didnt even blink. We are all a bunch of pethetic suckers :angry1:

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SweetEmotion said:
The problem is everyones looking to everyone else to make a move. No one want to take the the first step, the American public has become lazy. Some truckers on the east coast tried a strike a few months ago, it got them no where. Goverment didnt even blink. We are all a bunch of pethetic suckers :angry1:

and from my understanding there were not nearly as many trucking companies back in the 70's most trucks were privatly owned which made things easier.....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
and back then most truckers were actually Americans.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just what would you do? I mean come up with a real plan that everybody would join in on, There is your challenge.
Should we all deprive our fun of boating?
Should we not buy gas for a week?

Never Happen, just my opinion :cl1:
It's really hurt the average joe like myself, boat has not gone out like it should and $75 to $100 dollar fill ups just to get to work, make the already tight budget even tighter.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thecurti said:
Just what would you do? I mean come up with a real plan that everybody would join in on, There is your challenge.
Should we all deprive our fun of boating?
Should we not buy gas for a week?

Never Happen, just my opinion :cl1:
It's really hurt the average joe like myself, boat has not gone out like it should and $75 to $100 dollar fill ups just to get to work, make the already tight budget even tighter.

i agree it sucks........

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SweetEmotion said:
yup we`re all screwed :angry1: :angry1:

its really ashame this has come to be. I remember back just a few years ago when I got my first boat. I thought it was great I had finally worked myself into a position where I could have nice things. I was on that sucker 2-3 times a week. We trailered it all over the kentucky area. Now I would not even think about being on it that much. I would go broke trying to pay for the gas.

I began thinking not too long ago that enough was enough. I began to look into ethanol production as I have known a couple people to make it successfuly. You cant even do that now because the price of corn has skyrocketd.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
I've stopped snowmobiling for the year and decided not to until atleast Dec 15th. :eek:

Serious note....Subject kind of pizzes you off enough to break something. Song is fitting when thinking of fuel. :angry1:

<object width="600" height="450"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TYQK84Nkf7c&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TYQK84Nkf7c&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
833 Posts
"die gas pumper....bang...... bang" ~ The Jerk

and back then most truckers were actually Americans.
LMAO

I work at a food production plant.... we get NO truckers in there that speak good english. The truckers from the 70's are all gone.... and along with them went any stuborn ballzy grumpy old guys who did have the guts to do something about it.

remember the movie called "convoy" with cris cristoferson (sp) about all those truckers who decided to stick it to the man.... I only wish people would pull some sh*t like that these days. but it will NEVER happen.

I think the roof will blow at around $7.50 /gal.... and people will stop driving almost everywhere but work. Electric bicycles will be the new thing, and people will find jobs closer to home.

As a middle class white guy I have no sympathy from the gov.... But ten million middle class people can make a difference if they work together to stick it to the man

·
Speak English Or Die!
1,622 Posts
Judging by the UK ~ $10.00

If that wouldn't make the rest of us sleeping Americans finally rise with fire in our eyes, I'm afraid we've had it.

Oh, yeah, I'm a pessimist BTW, lol.

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
I was alive and driving when the Arab Oil Embargo was going in in the early 1970s.

I was like many of you today back then, young married guy with children, buying a house, wife was a stay at home mom. I was the sole provider, like it was done in those days.

One thing was just like it is now, the price of fuel was insane. Actually the increase back then was far greater then the price increase we are dealing with now.

There was one thing going on back then that brought about all the revolt from the American public that is currently missing today.

That was.........

YOU COULDN'T BUY FUEL AT ANY PRICE!

You bought fuel based on the last digit of your tag number, even days for even numbers, odd days for odd numbers.

When you went for fuel on your assigned day, you sat in a line for hours and would be limited to the amount you could buy.

Compared to the fuel situation back then. Today's problem is a day at the beach!

For those of you too young to remember the early '70s.......

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
I was driving in the 70's and remember doing the odd even thing for gas. I also remember waiting in log lines to put $5.00 worth in my 65' Karmann Ghia. :D

·
Speak English Or Die!
1,622 Posts
I was under 10 years old, but I do remember the gas lines, too. It took forever to get gas. :dead:

·
BANNED
13,676 Posts
In the 70s I had a 71 power Wagon with a 30 gal tank. Put 2- 25 galllon tanks built to fit in front of the wheel wells in the bed. We had odd/even days, but no limit on the purchase. Didn't have tp fill up that often.. :D

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Jake, I had the same concept, just a little different. I would fill my Ford LTD one day and my wife's Ford Maverick the next. One car had even numbered tags the other odd.

I would siphon the gas out of the cars to fill my Triumph Bonneville! I had a 50 mile one way commute to work. The motorcycle was far better on gas than either of the cars!

Made the gas last a long time that way! :blush:

People were changing their fuel usage greater back then as compared to what I have seen today.

We're still selling motor homes and last week out on the Chesapeake I saw a slew of boats motoring around!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts