Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iran 'not allowed' to close oil supply route

June 30 2008 at 08:15PM

The commander of the US navy's Fifth Fleet warned on Monday that the United States will not allow Iran to shut the Strait of Hormuz, a key oil supply route in the Gulf.

"They will not close it... They will not be allowed to close it," Vice-Admiral Kevin J. Cosgriff said at a press conference in Bahrain, where the Fifth Fleet is based.

His remarks followed comments by the chief of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards who issued a new warning last week against any attack against the country over its controversial nuclear drive.

"It is natural that when a country is attacked it uses all of its capabilities against the enemy, and definitely our control of the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz would be one of our actions," Jafari said.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
You know what would be nice, if we used diplomacy to try to settle Iran rather than this pissing match of words.

I also wouldn't be taking Iran so lightly - Ankle Biters?

·
Registered
549 Posts
How do you talk diplomacy to a man who lies and never does what he sais? They use the threat of violence as a bargaining chip, I do not believe they have any intention of shooting a nuk at Israel, they only want us to think they will so the world caves and pays them off just like we recently did with N. Korea.

If Iran was run by rational people who were willing to live in peace I would agree with you, but at this moment they are a country that sponsors and supports terrorism against americans, until that stops, they are an enemy.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duke69 said:
You know what would be nice, if we used diplomacy to try to settle Iran rather than this pissing match of words.

I also wouldn't be taking Iran so lightly - Ankle Biters?
I understand your position.

One observation here in the U.S. is that Candians initially choose the diplomatic approach initially because Canada has no real military might on the global stage.

Please don't get me wrong - this is not a swipe against Canada just a fact. The U.S. probably might spend more on it's military budget yearly than Canada's entire yearly GNP.

It's good to have a balance of hard liners and those who want to reason initially.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Uh oh gas is probably going to go up another buck a gal. by the weeekend due to this

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hell ya!!!! They are the enemy!!!! We CANNOT allow them to push us around and make threating statements without a response. It makes us look weak. I am happy with the Admiral`s response. Whats hes saying is you can try and shut it down but their navy is no match for ours.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Duke69 said:
Absolutely, the guy is scum of the earth, but why taunt him?
taunt?

I don't remember us taunting him - you know they guy who says that Holocaust never happened..

they started it and one of our military commanders simply stated that we would not let the straight be closed - seems pretty simple to me...

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I supposed a question is:

as an american citizen would you pay a buck more for a gallon of gas while telling these idiots to shove it?

or pay a buck less while you cowered in front of them?

as soon as you cower, they'll raise the price anyway.

we'll have the last laugh anyway - I know it. We'll beat the oil crisis with technology, good old american know how, hard work and perseverence.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Speedwake said:

as an american citizen would you pay a buck more for a gallon of gas while telling these idiots to shove it?

we'll have the last laugh anyway - I know it. We'll beat the oil crisis with technology, good old american know how, hard work and perseverence.
I never said cower, read my post, I implied diplomacy.

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Duke69 said:
We have been doing that too long. The time has come to shelve the diplomats and brake out the baseball bats!

Time to do another Hiroshima.

Attachments

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
I say F those people, all of them... They scare me as much or MORE than the Chinese or the N. Koreans...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Speedwake said:

Absolutely I would pay more, and your right, good old American Tech will find a way some day.....then the Japanees will improve it and the Chinese will do it cheaper. :p:

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Duke69 said:
Diplomacy is nothing more than cowering down and letting them get what they want.

Sooner or later it is going to come down to someone (ie. The US) doing something. The rest of the world is afraid to do anything for fear of the costs.

As for them being ankle biters that is a pretty good analogy if you ask me, but you seem to think we should be afraid of them? Maybe Canada is afraid of them but trust me the US is not.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Agree with that... We would roll right over Iran in a matter of days just the same as we did Iraq... Hell a few F-22's would take out there entire Air Force, Navy and most of their infastructure with out a Ground Troop in site...

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.