Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that I have told my brother in person, I can vent my new dilemma here!

My wife was offered a "Relocation Package" at the beginning of the month. It would require us to move to Atlanta. I am at a point in my life where I don't know that I want to move. I would have to leave everything that I have here behind. My brother has truly become my best friend and I don't want to lose that either.... We would not have any family there. And I only know a few coworkers of my wife's. I just don't know that we can afford for her to be out of work. Her income is pretty significant and the bonuses for the move are almost unreal.

I feel real selfish asking her not to take it. It is an oppurtunity of a lifetime for her. She has worked hard to recieve the 2 Bachelors and the Masters that she has. I think she would feel like she wasted her time If I don't support her while she advances. The good news is the move would not be until next June. We have until Aug 15 to decide. I have also agreed to make a trip down to Atlanta the weekend of Aug 8 to check out the area. We shall see. Sorry about the rant, just getting me through another sleepless night!
:yawn:

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
I have a few friends who have moved to Atlanta. From their comments to me it is a great place to live, work and play!

Atlanta isn't all the far from where you're living now. Not like going to California!

Take a trip down there and have a good look. You just may find it to be a better place to live than where you are.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
That's tough. You can always move back if it doesn't work out. If your relationship with your brother is good (I know what you mean as my brother is also my best friend) he'll understand and visits will mean everything. You don't want your wife feeling un-important. Time for some heart to heart talks with her. The visit to new town sounds like a great idea! Best of Luck with the decision and it's results!

I don't envy you having a choice like that.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
RSCHAP1 said:
That's tough. You can always move back if it doesn't work out. If your relationship with your brother is good (I know what you mean as my brother is also my best friend) he'll understand and visits will mean everything. You don't want your wife feeling un-important. Time for some heart to heart talks with her. The visit to new town sounds like a great idea! Best of Luck with the decision and it's results!

I don't envy you having a choice like that.

has she checked around to see if work could be found with a competitor or another company near home. Sounds like she has some good credentials and eduction. Maybe something could be found closer to home that might fit the bill... May fill her need for advancement and yours of stayinghome.

anyways just an idea

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
axkiker said:
has she checked around to see if work could be found with a competitor or another company near home. Sounds like she has some good credentials and eduction. Maybe something could be found closer to home that might fit the bill... May fill her need for advancement and yours of stayinghome.

anyways just an idea
She has sent her Resume out and the phone has been ringing. The biggest problem is she LOVES her job. I am sure we will work our way through this and be fine.

Again, sorry for the rant, just looking for some feedback. Thanks again.........

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Yeh, impossible for us to help you make the decision as there are so many things that are personal to you that we can'r get a total grasp on.

That said - have you ever been to Atlanta ? I was there for just a few days and thank the man upstairs I did not stay any longer !

Why ? It's a very hard place to stay in control. :laugher:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cfm said:
Yeh, impossible for us to help you make the decision as there are so many things that are personal to you that we can'r get a total grasp on.

That said - have you ever been to Atlanta ? I was there for just a few days and thank the man upstairs I did not stay any longer !

Why ? It's a very hard place to stay in control. :laugher:
Just wanted to vent a little about it. I have not been to Atlanta myself, but my wife spent 10 or so weeks down there over the winter.

I don't think it will be my cup of tea either.... We shall see what time brings us.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
What about your job..??, but I think if she's the bread winner, you should support her, the move may turn out the best thing you ever did for the the both of you..It's tough leaving family behind, but many people are doing it today to advance the career to the next level.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
I'll put it bluntly - it's not just the weather that's "Hot." :laugher:

I'd have a super tough time moving also, even with our life changing speed limit. Very tough to go thru, but if you are decent and kind folks - like you seem to be on the net - then things will fall into place pretty quickly.

If you move, I'll send my wifes resume down there and if she lands a bigger job, then we can hang out while they're working. :D

Just trying to give you a laugh. But you never know - it could become a possibility. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fyhr Factor said:
What about your job..??, but I think if she's the bread winner, you should support her, the move may turn out the best thing you ever did the the both of you..It's tough leaving family behind, but many people are doing it today to advance the career to the next level.
I used to be ther bread winner. Her Masters got her an increase and on my end, people just aren't spending money on there cars like they used too. I am an auto tech., but am very capable of doing other things. If we decide to take the move, her company will proved me with a recruiter and they "promise" job placement.

And you are correct, there is alot of people moving around these days.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cfm said:
I'll put it bluntly - it's not just the weather that's "Hot." :laugher:

I'd have a super tough time moving also, even with our life changing speed limit. Very tough to go thru, but if you are decent and kind folks - like you seem to be on the net - then things will fall into place pretty quickly.

If you move, I'll send my wifes resume down there and if she lands a bigger job, then we can hang out while they're working. :D

Just trying to give you a laugh. But you never know - it could become a possibility. :laugh:
Thanks CFM.... :laugher:

I don't know how much water will be in the lake down there but I am up for the company!! :D

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
well ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but remember Opportunity knocks but just so many times and then it just passes by................

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Nstylx said:
I used to be ther bread winner. Her Masters got her an increase and on my end, people just aren't spending money on there cars like they used too. I am an auto tech., but am very capable of doing other things. If we decide to take the move, her company will proved me with a recruiter and they "promise" job placement.

And you are correct, there is alot of people moving around these days.
I'm sure there's plenty of cars there that need your services, so it may turn out better for you too. Hopefully it'll all work out for the best.. but you'll never know unless you both give it a try.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Atlanta is a great town. It's also a 7 hour drive from year-round boating. the gulf has some of the prettiest beaches and water in the world. Its 5 hours away. You can leave your boat down there for cheap. 8 hours (port canaveral in the fall) away is some of the finest billfishing ever ( we released 3 sails in one day 2 years ago) . Sell your snowmobile and come on down. we'd welcome one more carpet bagger. When it gets cold u can head over to the bahamas if u have the stones (and boat) to cross in the winter. Miami is 9.5 hours away we are going to cruise the keys this xmas. Savannah is a blast and a great place to shrimp. People that come here stay here. I've been here since 61. people are great here.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You only live once and life is to short.......Do it... :D

I would......not that it matters... :bigsmile:

Hell I'm try to figure out how to sell everything and live on a motor yacht.....

·
Horsepower Junkie
1,693 Posts
Go for it bro! you hear alot more people say "I wish I would have" than "I wish I never did"
Besides, there are a ton of Velocity's down that way ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
If it were me I'd move.

Its unfortunate that you will be leavng your brother behind but in the end you need to support your wife if you want to continue getting along with her :dead1:

Not to mention your brother can visit you anytime and you can do the same.

My best friend since childhood is like a brother to me. He moved to SW FL 6yrs ago and we still have great times when we visit eachother.

Sometimes your life just has to evolve.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I'd move, sounds like she works for a very generous company, your brother will still be your best friend just further away. go for it, plus if she gets another job and hates it you'll never hear the end of it :dead:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just some advice from experience...

Me and my wife just moved from Utah this past December (can't believe that its been 6 months already). First, moving across the contry from everyone that we have ever known has strengthened my relationship with my wife more that I would have ever thought possible. All we have is eachother. Second, its fun. The adventures that we have done and the sights that we have seen makes everything an adventure, even if we just drive till we get lost. Third, the people that truely love you will come and visit and keep in touch. :winker:

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
Run_em_Hard said:
Just some advice from experience...

Me and my wife just moved from Utah this past December (can't believe that its been 6 months already). First, moving across the contry from everyone that we have ever known has strengthened my relationship with my wife more that I would have ever thought possible. All we have is eachother. Second, its fun. The adventures that we have done and the sights that we have seen makes everything an adventure, even if we just drive till we get lost. Third, the people that truely love you will come and visit and keep in touch. :winker:
Welcome to the Chesapeake Bay!

Leaving Utah for Maryland had to be like going to heaven! :bigsmile:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts