Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Biggest cabin in any 26' hands down. Has two sinks. Enclosed head. I can stand up hunched over. Can sit up on the bench seats.
The Prowler's are a heavy boat. Mine is an 01. With a stock 502 about 61 gps. Don't expect any faster than that and you won't be disapointed.
If you would like to talk, shoot me a pm.

Mike

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
noise pollution said:
Biggest cabin in any 26' hands down. Has two sinks. Enclosed head. I can stand up hunched over. Can sit up on the bench seats.
The Prowler's are a heavy boat. Mine is an 01. With a stock 502 about 61 gps. Don't expect any faster than that and you won't be disapointed.
If you would like to talk, shoot me a pm.

Mike

How are the prowlers measured. Are they measured from the tip of the bow to the end of the swim platform. Or is the swim platform not included. Im trying to compare the size to my baja 272.

also you mentioned that you can stand hunched over while in the head. I assume that the head is on a slightly raised area since its off to one side. When you first enter the cuddy and are in the center near the bulk head are you able to totally stand up. Im just trying to get an idea of head room at the max point.

For my next go around I would like something that somewhere in the cuddy i can stand up in. It would just be nice to be able to stretch out. I dont expect to do flips, just have a spot where I can stretch.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
axkiker said:
For my next go around I would like something that somewhere in the cuddy i can stand up in.
Hope your short !

If not:

Option #1: Black Thunder.

Option #2: If you can stand the pain, I have a chainsaw with fine blades, and have a friend in Prosthetics :laugher: :dead:

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
axkiker said:
How are the prowlers measured. Are they measured from the tip of the bow to the end of the swim platform. Or is the swim platform not included. Im trying to compare the size to my baja 272.

26' Bow to the end of the swim platform.
The Prowler has a tight cockpit.
You'll need 38' or bigger if you want to stand up.
My friend has this for sale. You can stand up in it.

http://www.speedwake.com/newclassifieds/showproduct.php?product=790&cat=52

·
Registered
146 Posts
axhiker-

My Prowler is a 2002, and Noise has advised you well, I believe.

As you guess from my user name, I had a Baja before this, and based my choice on that-

1) Prowler's are, by far, the best cabin in under 29' class

2) Same length overall as a 25' Outlaw/272 (which share hull). I've rafted up to both and compared.

3) Prowler is over a ton heavier than the Baja's (mine is about 7000lb, with fuel), with no steps, so Baja is considerably faster with equal power...till the water gets rough! Best going ride in rough water, for 25' class. Don't expect speed, as Noise said.

4) If you need stand-up headroom, you'll need at least a 35' boat. Even a 33' Outlaw, which is fairly tall, won't let you stand straight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've only seen one AT 25 and I thought it looked like a much smaller boat in every dimension, hence faster. They don't include the swim platform since it's a bolt on so length wise it a litttle longer. I think the beam is also narrower. Steve

·
Registered
146 Posts
Superman -

24' Magnum hull? Really now? First I've heard of that rumour, and I researched for two years before buying my Prowler, including conversation with an ex-dealer, who also has Fountain and Hustler brands. He had other issues with Sonic, but hull design wasn't one of them.

Ask most anyone who has owned a Sonic, or an Active Thunder, and they will state rough water running is the boats strong point. Solid construction abounds.

You are right, it takes big power to get speed, but that is basic physics - heavy weight= more power needed. If you want speed first and foremost, buy Fountain.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Superman -

Got that right - salesmen are nothing but truthful! lol

I should have clarified - I was talking about the owner of the dealership, who no longer carried the Sonic line, so he had nothing to gain. Hence, he was actually pretty open about each lines shortcomings, talking to me "dealer to dealer", as he knew I work in dealer industry for other products. Warranty claims, product offerings, floorplan, etc...

·
Registered
11 Posts
i havent personally looked at a prowler cause they are very few around here in michigan area but i really liked the AT 25 for a small boat. i guess im looking for straight up performance in rough water and i have heard that the sonic and thunder are the best . im very pleased with the cabin room, i dont plan on living on it, just somewhere to crash overnight.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Superman -

Pardon my ignorance here, but since you have OEM experience, you might know - how does an OEM use same mold from 24'-31' models?

I have heard sometimes factory's will sell off a mold when done with that model; do all "rights" for that model go with the mold?

Does the buyer then make a plug and "stretch" it by adding 2'-6' feet in the middle?

If so, wouldn't there be a huge risk of ruining the handling of the original model?

I know an old style, basic "pad" hull isn't as difficult to alter as a step-hull, but still....

·
Registered
363 Posts
Blah...Blah.... :shocked: :rolleyes: ...Its a great boat/haul...Handles the ruff great.Not going to be the first there...But the driest,and your body isnt going to be beat up and hurting...Cabin room is the best in class...I owned one for 9yrs, purchased new and never regret it for one moment....Now shes down south being taken very well cared for..... :bigsmile:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.