Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I am looking at a 358 Sonic with 496 HO. It has 3 blade 24 inch blades any idea how she should run. I figure 70mph. Also at 3,000 rpms what speed and GPH?
They want 80K with trailor it is in excellent cond with 100 hours in NC. I offered 60K they are thinking about it. I really wanted a 32 but for the money why not. I want something tht I won't get killed on resale value. Any known problems wit the 496HO motors

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like deal even at the asking price. What year?

I would think that 70mph might be a little strong. Regardless, at nearly any speed you'll be crushing waves.

The 496HO is a good motor, just not alot of power for a boat of this size & weight.

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2001. My only concern it has not be run for over a year. Wonder about the gas. It was put away correctly. I would think it will always be worth 60K for a year or so.
I wonder what it will cruise at @ 3,000 RPM and 3200RPM? How mant GPH at cruise

·
Registered
250 Posts
68 is a good number for those motors. Great boat for the money, just test drive first to check for porpoising as this boat has a lot of commentary on the subject, check OSO sonic board. One of the issues early on that they did away with, not sure when, is the notch in the transom right below the bilge plug. They filled in the notch around 01 or 02. One member mentioned 5 blade props helped counter the porpoising, not sure what motors he was running.. believe 500's.... good luck!

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Thanks for the help, I will look. We are stuck at the 60K number. There are 3 others in my area just as nice. Time will tell. I would rather have a 32 foot just the right size

·
Registered
1 Posts
islandeast said:
Great Thanks for the help, I will look. We are stuck at the 60K number. There are 3 others in my area just as nice. Time will tell. I would rather have a 32 foot just the right size
I have a 31ss with a single hp500 and I cruise at [email protected]

Oh the single engine 31ss is Custom.. its so much easier to work on and maintain and keep fueled up :rambo:

·
Registered
620 Posts
TeamSonic said:
I have a 31ss with a single hp500 and I cruise at [email protected]

Oh the single engine 31ss is Custom.. its so much easier to work on and maintain and keep fueled up :rambo:
Got pics? I would love to see such a rare boat. What year?

When you say custom, was it custom ordered that way, or converted from a twin?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts