• NO

Votes: 3 13.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals....

I'm sure you've noticed thee "Match.com" banner ads being displayed on the forum. I started these the other day and really do have mixed emotions about running non boating related ads. As with any ad it's a potential source of income to help offset the costs of bandwidth to run this place.

In any event, I'd like you to vote because I'd like to know your opinions regarding ad's like these. The only reason I run them is because I'm very familiar with their service since it's how Karen and I met - yes, we're a match.com success story.

If the nay's outvote the yea's - they get yanked - simple as that.

thanks

- jeff
your humble forum slave.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have not even seen the banner show up yet..

Just please stay away from the "pop-ups" that litter so many sites. This site is way too nice for that.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO POP-UPS!!!!

I WILL NEVER HAVE THEM HERE - I HATE THEM

however that said; when you link to other sites from Speedwake posts & threads I can't guarantee they won't have them.

but no pop-ups here - guaranteed.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have no problem with it. Considering the conversations (breakups, multiple divorces, etc.) around here it may attract more hits than you might expect.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Your business decision. If someone had a bad experience with an advertiser, I am sure you would take that into consideration. Roll on.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
If it will help offset some of the costs then it is fine with me.
Also it may come in handy for FA18driver too!:smile1: :smile1:

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
no pop-ups, and don't sell our data base to advertisers. I get enough junk mail and phone calls to make me sick.

Otherwise, if you can make money, go for it. You are nothing but integrity, Jeff.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mitcher....
good observations.

I know know if you've every looked, but on the home page to the site about halfway down on the left is a link to : Privacy Statement

In my Privacy Statement I explain that "Speedwake.com will never willfully disclose personally identifiable information to a third party for marketing or other use. "

However, what I will warn you is that there is software called "robots" and "spiders" that rountinely visit my site and scan pages for content. This is how my pages get listed on Search Engines such as google, msn, etc.

The are also unscrupulous people that write "spiders" to simply scan web pages to get email addresses and mail people without their permission.

My recommendation is to not list your email address in any message. Once you do you become fair game. I have been watching who has been spidering the site and I can exlude the "spiders" I don't want looking at our pages but I don't know who they are until they've visited. Right now we're ok but as the site grows in popularity we'll get more attention and the bad spiders will start scanning our pages. Just a heads up....

- jeff

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
I agree with Mitcher T.. we get more junk mail than the real stuff!!:laugher:...............Hey Jeff, can us Chicago guys vote more that once???You know it's in our blood to do that!!! :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
I saw it the other day and thought I was on the wrong site......:D Hey,but then for the hell of it I clicked on it,and guess what,I now have a date for Saturday night

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
It's my wife:D
She was on too:laugh:

I say if it pays the bills or makes you cash,keep it. But like Mitcher T said,I got enough junk mail

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I have the same opinion as Mitch,,,, besides that, if it helps pay the bills,, go for it !!!

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Hey Duc....

Don't drag me into this......I have been a good boy :chase: and a busy one too......................:confused1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts