Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad spun the port coupler in his 1993 Baja 290 on Sunday. I can only get the drive about 1 1/2" out and it just won't come out any further. I have tried a block of 2" x 2" under the bellhousing and dropping to jar the shaft out and wood wedges, but the little SOB will not come out. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Lifting the motor SLIGHTLY might release the drive. Take a look at your mounts. One might of dropped a bit. That's probably what took out the coupler. The motor WILL have to come out anyway to change the coupler. It's not a hard job provided you have a way to lift the motor.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have full intentions on pulling both motors and replacing both couplers, plus, I have a place to do it. My concern is getting that drive off. It move real easy for the first inch. Alignment was right on last fall when gimble bearing was replaced and the boat only has a couple hours since then

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
id say the motor may moved due to a loose mount.....or worse case scenerio a stringer problem. Like Super24 said, hook the motor to a chain and start raising it slowly while tugging on the drive.

if that doesn't work, it is possible to unbolt the coupler with the motor in the boat. just undo all mounts, hoist engine few inches and move it forward until the drive shaft is out of the coupler. then you can unbolt the coupler. we've changed a few with the boat still in the water.

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Tie a rope or chain (maybe both) directly behind the drive shaft (where it comes through the transom assembly and hook to a tree or something solid, then hook the truck up to the trailer and give it a tug...

Alternatively you could use a winch or "come along"

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rock Steady said:
Tie a rope or chain (maybe both) directly behind the drive shaft (where it comes through the transom assembly and hook to a tree or something solid, then hook the truck up to the trailer and give it a tug...

Alternatively you could use a winch or "come along"
[/QUO

I thought about using a come along last night, but it was getting late and we did'nt feel like playing musical vehicles! That is the plan tonight.TE]

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MarkyMark said:
id say the motor may moved due to a loose mount.....or worse case scenerio a stringer problem. Like Super24 said, hook the motor to a chain and start raising it slowly while tugging on the drive.

if that doesn't work, it is possible to unbolt the coupler with the motor in the boat. just undo all mounts, hoist engine few inches and move it forward until the drive shaft is out of the coupler. then you can unbolt the coupler. we've changed a few with the boat still in the water.
I don't think it is a stringer issue. The boat has only 320 hours, has spent most of its life in a heated/AC shop. Never spent a night in the water, unless on the boat lift. Undoubtedly, the cleanest 1993 boat I have ever seen. I suppose it's still a possiblity though.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
MarkyMark said:

that's interesting. are these boats with trannies that do not need the drives removed to get the coupler off the back of the motor?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Speedwake said:
that's interesting. are these boats with trannies that do not need the drives removed to get the coupler off the back of the motor?
nope. one of my dads boats while i was growing up......small block alpha combo in a 26 searay. kept blowing couplers every month. kept having it pulled out of the water by the marina, they would replace coupler, check alignment, put back in water, blow another coupler. We then ended up changing them in the water ourselves with a 4x4 across the stern of the boat with a come along. just undo the mounts and exhaust and move the motor up about 6 inches. the drive shaft will fall out of the coupler. take bell housing off and then remove coupler. the hardest part was aligning the driveshaft splines when moving the motor backwards after new coupler was on. I would imagine it would be harder with a twin engine boat where you cant lay on each side of the motor and do the wrenching.....but this saved alot of time not having to disconnect and pull the whole motor.

problem was later determined that it was a rotted stringer where the motor mount bolted to. when torque was applied to the motor while planning, the motor would twist and the mount would move in the stringer throwing the alignment out.....spinning the couplers. went through about 6 of them in one season.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.