Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions as to where I should start? Sputters at idle, sputters at take-off. Just had the carb rebuilt, new plugs. Any other places to look?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should mention this as well:

First time I fired it up after putting the carb on, the boat backfired once.

As I'm idling threw a no wake, the boat will increase rpm and speed on its own.

Thanks!

·
Registered
320 Posts
It may be something simple but could be severe. Pull those plugs back out, check the gaps, any sign of water or white insulators stop there, if all plugs look normal you probably just need to replace the wires and check the firing order. You said some work was done on the carb so lets pull it back off and check the gaskets and such. Who rebuilt the carb. The Quadragunks can be complicated

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had one of the best carb guys in the area rebuild it for me. He has a good rep around here for his rebuilds.

I did notice that one of the gaskets, the cardboard esq one was "wavy" looking, but I left it on in fear of screwing something up.

I've been ready post dated back to '04, so I'll check what others did, cap, starter, plugs, wires, etc.

I'm really hoping it is something simple. The guy is coming back to do the fine tuning for me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
judging by the fact that u said it backfired on the one startup, it would probably be a good idea to real quick check your carb, and intake manifold gaskets. Just by spraying carb cleaner at the gasket all the way around while its running. If theres a leak the carb cleaner will find it and momentarily the engine will run smooth. Id ssy if you check all your basics, and do this your on the right track. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts