Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to view the races from your boat on The St. Clair River? Anyone have any tips on where to anchor for the best viewing. I will be coming up from Lake St. Clair.

Also, is it worth going to watch on Saturday? Sounds like all the races are on Sunday only.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
I've been going for the past 5 years. The river gets closed, so you can either sit on the north end, or the south end of the races. Sunday is the day to go. If your going because you want to go for a boat ride, and have a few brews and enjoy being on the boat go by boat.

If your going to watch the races, see the pits, and all that jazz go by land. The races are much better by land. The pits, the boats all docked up, being pulled out the eye candy, the eye candy, did I mention there is usually some eye candy?

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
2003226 said:
thanks...sounds like i should save some gas and go by car instead.
If you want a good view of the races, the ability to check out the pits and watch the boats get launched and trailered through town etc. then yes.

·
Registered
454 Posts
to see the race on Sunday land is definitely best. For the last several years we have gone down on Friday night or Saturday morning with the boat. Saturday is a great day on the water, we would anchor in the middle of the river and the boats would run test laps around us. Ian even did a little hotdoging himself along the sea wall one year :D On Sunday we would leave the boat in the marina and stay on shore to get a better view of the race and the people. We love sitting out on the boardwalk in front of the St Clair Inn, there is lots of action there, they have a bar and wait-staff, plus between one of the races we duck inside where it is air conditioned and enjoy a nice lunch. Since a majority of the racers and their families stay at the inn we have met a lot of them there. Last year we talked to John Hagin, owner of AMF/Geico, then we watched him cheer on the boat as they beat Bud Select, prior to that we met up his crew Scotty and Marc (driver & throttleman) who we know from OSO. We met Stan Ware Owner/Driver of Popyees, Ed Smith owner of Traffic Light arrived with checkered flag in tow immediately following his race. Sitting there gives you a great view of the racers holding their flag as they idle along the seawall after their win. Being on land also gives you a chance to walk by the crane and ramp area, lots of action there. Some of the teams have large displays, Reliable sets up next to the St Clair Inn, last year they had some of their new tricked out trucks and an extra boat or two on display. AMF has a huge camp, complete with palm trees and a pool:cool: The dry pits are scattered all through the town which is also full of food tents and various things for sale and teeming with people. This venue has become a favorite of racers from all over the country, if you watch from the river you will miss so much of the flavor of the race. This year we are leaving the boat and driving down just for the day, oh and GET THERE EARLY. Enjoy

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Ms. PatriYacht said:
LOL the guys said the same thing as me, only I took longer to say it, typical woman :p: :laugh: :D
Yes, but you said it so well Donna!!

St. Clair is an awesome race, I wanted to race in it this year, but maybe next.

It's just an awesome atmosphere, up close views of everything and a great time.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Chad, come by the St Clair Inn for one of the races.

Are you going to be out Sunday to see the races at Metro, we plan on getting there Saturday night and getting a well at Metro. this race we will watch from the boat. We have only been out twice this year, both times on Lake Erie. Looking forward to being on Lake St Clair this weekend.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
Ms. PatriYacht said:
Chad, come by the St Clair Inn for one of the races.

Are you going to be out Sunday to see the races at Metro, we plan on getting there Saturday night and getting a well at Metro. this race we will watch from the boat. We have only been out twice this year, both times on Lake Erie. Looking forward to being on Lake St Clair this weekend.
My boat is blowed up.

But I am thinking about going down Saturday or Sunday. If I do I will look for you guys, the boat, or just run around screaming your names :D

I am not sure about the st. clair races, may be the first year I miss them due to a busy schedule....

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
A bunch of people from the Sunsation Rally are planning on heading up there Friday by boat for lunch at Pepper Joes. Not sure if I will attemp that run or not with the broken knee. :unhappy1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts