Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starboard starter is not engaging at times and now the port starter is beginning to click, click, click when I turn the key. I hit my batt parallel switch and it provides enough power to turn over. My first thought was batteries since the ones in there now are 3 years old and don't seem to hold a charge. So, I replaced them - same issue (clicking). I believe the starboard is a bendix issue, but with both now clicking even with new batts, I'm stumped with what to do. Rebuild the starters or should I be looking at something else?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Don't buy new or rebuild starters without having them tested. Wanna know how I know that.
Check to see where the clicking is coming from. Mine was a small reset button on the front of the motor that was going bad. Don't remember what it is called.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Clicking is a bad solenoid or a bad connection provided that the batteries are fully charged. Not engaging is the starter drive or possibly the solenoid. But there are many other things that can go wrong. I would start at the batteries and work my way down checking or replacing every part and connection. Dont use any auto parts. They are not sealed. I have seen starters full of rust and even cables that looked good that were corroded under the insulation and were very resistive.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have also seen people replace a lot of parts when it was just a bad cable or poor connection. I always start at the battery and start chasing down drops in power with a voltmeter as I work my way through. Hopefully this is a quick and easy fix once you dive in and start chasing it down.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Since the symptom stayed the same ( like a dead batt) it could indicate what others have said, such as poor connections. Check at your batt switches too.

If all connections seem good then do a voltage drop test. That will tell you if it is a power prob or the component itself.

·
Registered
594 Posts
start with cleaning the battery cable ends, and check ground cable at engine block, these are the two most commcon starter problems I see on a daily basis.
Joe

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boomer said:
Certain Gm had a seperate solonoid mounted away fromthe starter. Replace that one.
This particular setup has the starter mounted solenoids plus a smaller solenoid type device mounted on the transom. Is this the one you're thinking of?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
snivley whiplash said:
start with cleaning the battery cable ends, and check ground cable at engine block, these are the two most commcon starter problems I see on a daily basis.
Joe
Battery cable ends are in great condition. I'll check the ground cable to rule that out, too. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scarab3DMC said:
Mine did the same thing , It was the starters.. found a good place to buy them http://www.db-starter-alternator.com
Great find! Hell, I don't think I could even have them rebuilt for those prices.

However, I cannot locate which model I need. For my 420HP's, Merc shows a P/N 50-808011A05 that superceded P/N 50-17251A3. DB Electrical P/N 6563 looks like it may fit, but the cross-referenced part numbers don't match up.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TRS Drives.

I think I found a match. Looks like their P/N 104-6075 is what I would need. I should have known to look at the most expensive one first! :mad: :eek:

I think I'll research rebuilding, since I know the starboard starter needs it (bendix issue) and chase all the other connections and remedies mentioned here. Plus I'm betting that a rebuild is less than the $158 purchase price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts