Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I need a little help.

I’m unable to move my steering wheel. It wouldn’t move at all; maybe a quarter of a inch in both directions
Could the power steering pump be bad or the steering unit?

The steering unit housing is slightly corroded.

Every time you move the wheel you can see the steering cable move at the steering unit. :confused:

Any suggestions?

out drive=Alpha One.

Thanks ngs01

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can you move the outdrive from side to side on the trailer and have the steering wheel move? Even if the power steering pump is bad you should still beable to turn the wheel/outdrive but it will be much harder to do so. You might have a "frozen" steering cable. I am sure someone will chime in on what is the best method to lube the cables.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I’m unable to move the out drive side to side. And yes I did forget to lube the Steering Unit this year. :(

So what is the method to unfreeze the steering cable?

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
not worth it,,,, change the cable,,,,, the cable strands seperate and lodge into the sheathing wrap and your pretty much done

·
Registered
961 Posts
Fighting that one right now on the Stinger. I'm replacing the entire helm (can't find the cable anywhere).

My cable had corrosion in the steering tube on the steering ram. It was a total bitch to get that apart. Had I known it was going to be so bad, I would have trashed the steering ram AND the helm!!

You can get a Teleflex helm kit from Boatfix.com for under $120.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am having the same problem on my boat. Im going the new cable and ram route. The ram froze solid and I cant get the cable out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts