Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been reading up on past posts about gimbal rings, seals, and swivel pins trying to gather as much information as I can. I have a Bravo one drive that has developed a leak in the upper swivel pin seal. It's not big, but still a drip. The drive doesn't have alot of play in it so my question is, does the gimbal need to be replaced along with the pin and seal in order to fix the issue? Will loosening the u-bolts and retorquing them stop the leak or is it to late for that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the dumb questions for a first post.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
The gimbal play and seal leak are two different issues.

At worst,,, replace the pin along with the seal if it is corroded and pitted.

Ubolt will not help the leak,,, but keep them at 55.ft/lbs to save the gimbal ring.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I will have to double check but I don't believe I have a grease fitting on my Bravo one for that. Will packing grease on or around the pin area by the gimbal, by hand slow it down. At this point it is only a drip when sitting at the dock.

·
Innocent Bystander
1,498 Posts
Give Ron Bender @ JR Marine a call. He can tell you what you need to know and won't try to sell you something you don't need.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think what I'm going to do is pull the boat and try to pack it with grease and see if it helps for the rest of the summer. This fall I'm going to call Ron Bender and get his kit and takle it myself. Summer is short around here and I don't want to lose anymore boating time than I have to. For those that have done this, does the bell housing have to come off completely along with the bellows, or can it be pried forward for access to the pin?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine has been leaking for three years now, I have replaced several seals (in other boats) but have never did the work just for the seal. I have replaced the seal when replacing ring or other major work on outdrive. have to remove everything to be able to remove pin to get to seal. Ring can stay on with top pin out, and leave bottom pin in, save a few minutes of aggravation.

Mine does not leak at dock as long as I do not have a full tank of fuel, (3/4 is fine)and I also park with bow to lake, so waves do not break against transom. Mainly leaks when I have passengers in rear seat or I have weight in rear of boat, and I turn on bilge every couple of hours to pump out a few gallons at most.

I have seen several Baja's that the seals leaks, more than other makes??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is one of those things that drives me nuts. I know it's only a drip but it's always in the back of my mind. I've been thinking about selling the boat and upsizing but I want to fix this before I sell it to someone. I wouldn't feel right about doing this to anyone without telling them. Not to mention, did I say it drives me nuts knowing it's there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts