Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.
So before I bought the boat I have not the old owner replaced the gauges.
The temp gauge is always peged at 240 degrees.when the key is off and batteries off.. still peged.. when I turn the key and start the boat.. gauge does not work..needle dosent move..

Could something be wrong with the gauge.. the temp sensor in the intake does a have a wire going to it.. and as far as I can see the gauge looks to be wired...
any ideas..

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Sounds like the wire to the gage, OR the sender is shorted.
Try disconnecting the wire on the back of the gauge and from the sender (Tan wire, I think). and see if the pointer moves back to the norm. if it does, then it's the wire or the sender.
You can check the sender with an OHMs meter, see how many ohms it is, from the sender terminal to a ground, if your reading less than 50 ohms , the sender is shorted.
If the sender checks out, check the wire, if it's still disconnected at the gauge and the sender, check with the ohmmeter and touch 1 end to the wire and the other to a ground, if your reading is 0 or very low, the wire is shorted. if the wire and the sender check out, that leaves 1 thing left., I think .. :)

Edit,,, Tan wire for water temp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts