Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a hotter thermostat on my new 502 and am getting vapour lock.

I'd like to go colder, but am wondering why put a t-stat on a boat at all.

Last year - 155ish to 160 max

this year 170

I'd like your thoughts, comments, and naked pictures of your wife.

Thanks,

·
Registered
55 Posts
I pulled the center out of my thermostat, been running it for a month or so on my 454. Runs around 175-185 WOT, around 160 or so cruising 50mph. I think you need to have something in there to slow the water flow down, so it absorbs the heat from the motor.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I heard there are different variables for not running thermostats.

1. the temperature of the water you run in. I have heard from some people who run in Lake Michigan when it is 50-60 degrees and they start hanging intake valves. added thermostats or flow restrictors and fixed the problem.

2. If your running in 75-80 degree water then you might not need them, but they won't hurt unless they don't work or are to hot.

3. They help to maintain a uniform temperture in the engine and also help with condensation in your oil. (so do thermostatically controlled oil coolers)

I run flow restriction but might be looking at putting thermostats back in.

Sorry no wife.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
V-FORCE said:

1. the temperature of the water you run in. I have heard from some people who run in Lake Michigan when it is 50-60 degrees and they start hanging intake valves. added thermostats or flow restrictors and fixed the problem.

2. If your running in 75-80 degree water then you might not need them, but they won't hurt unless they don't work or are to hot.

3. They help to maintain a uniform temperture in the engine and also help with condensation in your oil. (so do thermostatically controlled oil coolers)

Sorry no wife.
All the boat motors I've owned (all stock) ran the same temp regardless of the water temp I'm running in.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
V-FORCE said:

Sorry no wife.
I just wennt thru this as well Jason.

No t'stat crossovers motors would not even get to 100 degrees. Trashed the oil TWICE.

Put 140 stat in drilled 3 3/16 holes around the perimeter 140 and 150 degrees oil looks great now.

·
Registered
19,039 Posts
Duke69 said:
Interesting, what temp. should a stock 502 be running??
Duke, running factory t-stat is outmost important if running EFI. If you run too cold a t-stat you may run in 'cold start enrichment' mode.

I believe most Merc EFI's use a 160 t-stat. Double check on your engine.

If carb'd use a Merc 140 t-stat and call it a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts