Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Anyone have experience with in law apartments? My mother just sold her house in Florida so I am looking at living arrangements for her. Luckily my wife and mother get along fine. My home is a 1924 center hall colonial so I prefer not to add on to it due to asthetics. I own the lot vacant lot next door to my home so I am thinking of a garage / carriage house. Can anyone shed some light on space requirements? I am thinking around 800 sq. ft for living space. A 2 car garage with living space above is OK except I would prefer to not have her deal with stairs. If I spread it out on one level it takes up more of the yard. I have 2 kids who love the yard. What other options are there?

chevy57

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
We bought the house next to us and fisgure it will be an inlaw residence some day. It is rented for now. It is 900sq. ft. of living space with a one car garage. I think it would be fine for that purpose or as a summer home but too smal for most any year round family. You can do a lot with 800-900sq.ft. since your starting from scratch. Little things like pocket doors and eat in kitchen areas can make the most of the space. We thought about buying the empty lot in back of us as well and building a big garage with a studio apartment overhead. The problem with that and older people are the stairs.
I'm assuming you dont have a basement that could be converted?
With real state pices down as they are, is there anything very close that would work for her and be a nice long term investment?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts