Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was taking the boat off the trailer today so that I could check the brakes out, which is a hole nother problem. Anyway I'm out on my own which isn't a problem but I make this mistake and if my wife was there it wouldn't have happend and if it did she would have reamed me for it. Everytime we go out she is pulling the boat off the trailer. And time after time I remind her to put the outdrive down half way before starting it. What do I do, I forgot. When it started up it made this vibration noise for about 5 secs and then stopped. I'm like :WTF is this and then remember what I forgot to do.

So what could have possible caused that noise and what kind of damages could it HAVE caused or did. Tookd it out after working on the trailer and was paranoid as usual but didn't seem to run any different.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
What you heard was the U-joints straining, because of the excessive angle they were in, if their in good condition, and you only ran very briefly, they should still be OK.. It's happened to me too. :blush:

Oh, and it puts some stain on the gimbal bearing too, but as long as you don't hear any strange noises or have any vibrations now, you should be fine..

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
my wife actually did that once. I was wrenching the boat in on the trailer and i asked her if the motor was off and the drive was up. she said "yup" and as I"m putting on the safety chain I notice the boat is still running. look up "the motor still on?" she's like "ya but the drive is up so no worries" :hammer: I don't even want to know how long it was running like that..seems fine so I think you can get away with it at low engine speed and some luck.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I know the gimbal bearing is probably ok seeing how it was replaced in 06' and as far a the u joints I'm sure if they were as bad as the gimbal bearing then the marina would have replaced them to... at least the bill reflected it.

But yeah I took the boat out to see the top speed I could get with just myself and it didn't change much from when it was just me and my dad two years ago.

52 and some change about 4800RPMs

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
If you are talking up ALL the way up(Trailer button up, not just trimmed to the stop), you shouldn't run at all. Probably can get away with it, but bad idea. It isn't going to do anything any favors. I have f'd up a few times and started as drive is still headed down and things, but...that's why it's called an accident.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I always get a laugh out of some of the folks (usually in old, beat up runabouts) that crank the motors up at the ramp with the drive all the way up - you can usually hear the death rattle of the U-joints! :dead:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Budman said:
I always get a laugh out of some of the folks (usually in old, beat up runabouts) that crank the motors up at the ramp with the drive all the way up - you can usually hear the death rattle of the U-joints! :dead:
:laugher:

I can't say I laugh, but I do find myself shaking my head a lot when I see it... and they look at me like I have two heads or something..... then I gotta laugh.. :laugher:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.