Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor wont stay up in tilt mode. Slowly comes down until it contacts the trim rams. Trim portion works fine. I'll be breaking out the shop manual. I had trailered the boat to Miami and had a block in there to support it while trailering but I lost the block along the way and when I got to Miami the motor had come down. I am guessing theres a valve in there that has been damaged. No exterior fluid leaks.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Leak Down

Hi Mr. D,
Good chatting with you last night. I have not had that happen with a boat yet, but have had it happen to my tractors hydraulic cylinders. They were not leaking on the exterior, but the seals inside were allowing the fluid to back up through the lines back to the reservoir. I am sure it is the same thing with trim cylinders. Hydraulics are all pretty much the same. I rebuilt the cylinders myself(very easy), and the parts were very reasonable. I am not sure on what the marine cylinder rebuild kits would cost but I can not imagine they would be too hateful. I assume they can be rebuilt as most cylinders can be.
Rod

·
Registered
463 Posts
there are little seals in there that go bad and last I heard, merc does not sell rebuild kits. However, Billy cartier at Bills outboard in St Pete had a couple hundred of the seals prodduced (since this is a commone problem in older motors) and rebuilds them reasonably. Might give him a call.

fish

Bills Outboard Svc
Address: 6624 126th Ave, Largo, FL 33773
Phone: (727) 530-4540

http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypMap.py?Pyt...iH96r6gTwc0T&stat=:pos:0:regular:regT:2:fbT:0

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
i have a little thinggy that flips down for trailering , so it's not riding on the ram

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your not actually suposed to use that for trailering, just for when the boat is stored with the motor up. Havnt you read your manual :p:

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Mr. Demeanor said:
Your not actually suposed to use that for trailering, just for when the boat is stored with the motor up. Havnt you read your manual :p:
are you serious ? :confused: but no i haven't read it it's in the boat and you know what i do in the boat :laugher:

Attachments

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
tcob said:
i have a little thinggy that flips down for trailering , so it's not riding on the ram

Ummm, we really do not need to know about your little thingy and what you do with it!!!!! :devious: :devious: :devious:

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Shameless said:
Ummm, we really do not need to know about your little thingy and what you do with it!!!!! :devious: :devious: :devious:
:flipa: :D so am i using it correctly or do i have to buy one of those ugly 4 ft bars. btw . had to buy a gal of optimax 2 stroke oil yesterday . $31 .00 :eek: gotta shop that a little better

·
BANNED
13,676 Posts
tcob said:
:flipa: :D so am i using it correctly or do i have to buy one of those ugly 4 ft bars. btw . had to buy a gal of optimax 2 stroke oil yesterday . $31 .00 :eek: gotta shop that a little better
Quit complaining. You saved about $500 on gas with the Opti. If not more. :rolleyes:

Is that Donnas new truck??? :D

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The best is the support strut but I cant use one on mine because the trailer has no cross member at the very back.
NOt only do you save money on fuel but your OPti burns very little oil. It is expensive though. Shop it around.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Mr. Demeanor said:
The best is the support strut but I cant use one on mine because the trailer has no cross member at the very back.
NOt only do you save money on fuel but your OPti burns very little oil. It is expensive though. Shop it around.
agreed . :D but i will do better than $31 next time :mad:

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Rattlesnake Jake said:
Quit complaining. You saved about $500 on gas with the Opti. If not more. :rolleyes:

Is that Donnas new truck??? :D
not that color ! :D

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
tcob said:

Yes, you are using it correctly. I never used it on mine, my trailer sat low and there was not much clearance for the skeg. I used an ugly bar off of the trailer roller to the gear case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts