Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After installing exhaust manifolds and a K&N arrestor, I am running up on the rev limiter. I have a 7.4 MPI at it is hitting at 4600-4700 rpm. This is with a Mirage Plus 23P. This non-Mag motor is supposed to operate in the 4200-4600 rpm range.
Do I need to go up to a 25P? Or should I have my prop blueprinted with more pitch? Or what...????
I am not hitting the limiter real hard, just kinda creaping up on it.....I want more speed though!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Get a 25 then if the revs are too low have it labbed. Should be good for a couple of MPH over where you are now.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
If your just touching the rev limiter I dont think you will be able to pull a 25,, I had the same problem tried a 25 and couldnt pull it. First off though, how is the boat loaded for that test compared to a normal day out? Do you still hit the limiter with a full load of fuel and people on board? If not then I would have your 23 cupped and blueprinted it should put you right where you want to be.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I`ve ran it a couple more times. I can get it to just barely touch the rev limiter, this with me, 190 lbs, the wife, 120 lbs, our son, 70 lbs and 3/4 tank of fuel (about 40 gallons). I have spoke more with the prop guy and he was in sync with your thoughts, can`t pull a 25, re-cup my 23. Should gain +2 mph and be running right at 4600 rpm.
Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
I have the same motors, I now have 22's labbed and blueprinted, they are just a little too much on the rpms. Thinking of taking them back, and going to a labbed 23. I had 25's on the boat and could only run about 4100-4200 rpm at WOT. I would say the labbed 23's would be perfect.:D

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
I am with the Labbed 23's also, I have them on mine and they work well.....good luck and let us know how it goes:D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
so,,, you think a labbed 23 huh?

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
you and everyone else ,,,, !!!! :D :D :D :D ( just teasing !! )

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
If you lab it you'll gain 200rpms. Extra cupping will subtract most of that, but you will still be close if not hitting the limiter. See if you can borrow/test a 25 Mirage Plus first and see where you're at with it.

Also, your rev limiter should be @ 4700-4750rpms. Get a prop that will run just under it with a light load of people and fuel.

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I started this post way back in April, 2002.
Last Spring I sent my 23" to be reworked. They cupped the blades and put a satin finish on it. That helped. I am now running right at 4550 to 4600 rpm, wide open. The prop guy said I could send it back anytime for more work. I am thinking of having him lab it for an extra 100-150 rpm. That should put me at or near the limiter and give me maybe 1-2 mph.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts