Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of top speeds do people get out of their boats...

My 288 Sunsation is good for 67-68 with a light load and nice conditions...

My 222 Stinger has a top speed that is unknown; at least by me... I've had it up to 81 on gps.

- jeff

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
24' Progression with 502 MPI and Whipple - around 90, will get GPS speeds this weekend along with Radar.

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
laster said:
24' Progression with 502 MPI and Whipple - around 90, will get GPS speeds this weekend along with Radar.
I would really like to know what it feels like to go 80 or 90 in a boat!?!

That's gotta reek of AWESOMENESS!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
94 Sunsation 502 stock 25 mirage prop, 4 people, full tank of gas, full of equipment, gps at 72 with room to tweak for a couple more miles an hour. I spend more time in rough water runnin' 45-60 and that's where the 502 is really benefical. Feel the need for top speed, then I go drive the old man's hondo flatbottom.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
speaking of top speeds... part-time Forum member Kook (and a local guy..for me) had an accident over the weekend in his 24' Sunsation sans new 680hp engine. The ordeal is pretty well chronicled On Some Other forum. He's okay, outdrive is hurt and his buddy got banged up pretty bad...

please send him a private email to let him know you're thinking about him. We traded private emails this morning and as expected he's pretty down. I sent him my best and best wishes for his buddy's speedy recovery.

- jeff

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I would guess that "Pretty Down" is an understatement. A lot of people on that other board commended him for wearing a lifejacket. As far as I view it... it's not an option. A head first fall into the water at 40 mph is enough to knock anyone out. Add on top of that a 7000 lbs. 30 foot long missle skipping across the water with 1200 hp on a surface slightly larger than a notebook... come on people, this is common sense were talking about.

On a lighter note, I have been able to hit 89.6 mph on the GPS with 4 adults and 2/3 a tank of gas spinning the props out. I'm a little hesitant to spin the props in at the moments, but I'd really like to run the boat on a cool day without any passengers and less than an eighth tank of gas on a cool day. I should hit 90 by then. The boat is "pretty" stable at high 80's. If both drives aren't trimmed out to the exact same amount, or one tab is a little lower than the other, it will start walking around at the mid 70's enough to back out of her. It's taken some time to figure this ride out, but that's one thing I've got plenty of...

-Bayley

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I too read his post On Some Other forum.
His account of the accident is sobering.
I wish him and his friend a speedy recovery.

My '88 F-206 Formula will hit 58 on the GPS with three people and a full cooler on board. Not bad for a 350MAG with over 400 hrs, eh?
In fact, the factory brochure from 1988 rates the top speed as 58.:D
Now, if I could only get that 383 I wanted.......

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
White Nike hi-tops w/purple laces. 15.8 mph GPS (downhill, with the wind).:gunner: :laugher: Still trying to work out the details on the new (to me) boat.:D

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
2000 Fountain Fever. 67-70mph, but it feels like
forever to get up on plane with 4 people on board. Usually, with myself and one other person, we average around 67mph and get right up. Still a blast.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Quote from Scarab3DMC
"63 on gps w / tail wind going down hill!!!"
Down hill?
What, are we shooting rapids in a 34' Scarab now?
This I'd like to see.:D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts