Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
I understand very well what you're saying and had the same kinds of concerns, but a friend was telling me that there is an additive that you put in with it that will keep it from rusting... we're talking aobut using the jet attachment that works with a pressure pasher and lets you use blast media with water driving it. I understand that there are decent corrosion inhibitors (I would assume something like a phorphoric acid based solution) that prevent flash rusting. Not trying to hijack the thread, but was considering trying this for my trailer since i could use a friends pressure washer and go for it right in the back yard for litle cost or hassle... then shoot it with zinc chromate primer and good polyurethane auto paint as soon as it was completely dry...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
wtfo said:
I understand very well what you're saying and had the same kinds of concerns, but a friend was telling me that there is an additive that you put in with it that will keep it from rusting... we're talking aobut using the jet attachment that works with a pressure pasher and lets you use blast media with water driving it. I understand that there are decent corrosion inhibitors (I would assume something like a phorphoric acid based solution) that prevent flash rusting. Not trying to hijack the thread, but was considering trying this for my trailer since i could use a friends pressure washer and go for it right in the back yard for litle cost or hassle... then shoot it with zinc chromate primer and good polyurethane auto paint as soon as it was completely dry...

Yes I think you are correct. Seems like I saw them blast a frame on muscle car tv or one of thoes shoes where they used an additive in the container you would typically add soap to. So when the water and sand came out it had the additive in it to prevent rust.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
anyone have experience with using the water / sand pressure blasters.

That may be an option as well.... However I havent seen anyone use them in person.

I cant really beat the $270 to blast it however im curious about this new method and hwo well it works....

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The price sounds right for a pro blaster using sand, a very easy job for them..and it would cost you more if you DIY.. and it will likly flash rust on you, but just use some metal prep etch just before you prime..

·
Registered
405 Posts
I should also make the comment that i'm thinking about doing it myself mainly because there aren't any commercial contractors within an easy drive and after hearing about this I really just want to try it. For what you're being quoted to have a pro do it, I would just have it done... even without factoring in my time, it would probably be cheaper to have it done than screw around with the pressure washer, etc...

I think I would strip it of everything (lights, axle, etc...) before having it done... including wiring, and then re"rig" it from the beginning once done and painted... but that's just me...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
wtfo said:
I should also make the comment that i'm thinking about doing it myself mainly because there aren't any commercial contractors within an easy drive and after hearing about this I really just want to try it. For what you're being quoted to have a pro do it, I would just have it done... even without factoring in my time, it would probably be cheaper to have it done than screw around with the pressure washer, etc...

I think I would strip it of everything (lights, axle, etc...) before having it done... including wiring, and then re"rig" it from the beginning once done and painted... but that's just me...

yeah thats the plan. i want to redo all the wiring and change the lights to leds..... so ill just knock it all out at once

·
Registered
1 Posts
Seems a bit low 500$ I would say 1,200$ if its a horse trailer with rust and electrical that needs to be removed its an additional labor and detail job. 125$ an hour takes like 10 hours youre looking at 1400$ + storage if its not picked up in time and if you make any changes.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts