Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the return trip from the lake last weekend I had a major tire blowout. I had checked the tire pressure that morning before leaving and all 4 were good. Anyhow it was hot here (90 deg.) and on the way home about 45 min into the drive the left rear blew. They were brand new Carlisle 205/75/5/14 radials this year. I pulled the truck. The tread had separated from the tire. Looks like the side wall blew out. It bent the hell out of my trailer fender (had to bend it back to get the spare on). It also marked up the side of the boat. I cleaned the boat up and there were a few small scratches from where the steel belts hit the boat. Nothing major. Then as usual as soon as I start to change the spare, it starts raining. All I can say is things happen in three's and I got my three in a matter of 15 min. I told my bud we could drive home blindfolded now cause we had our three. Anyhow I was pretty bummed out after that seeing my boat and trailer all jacked up like that. Needless to say I got "back on my horse" I cleaned up the boat and nothing major to it (will get all the scratches fixed at the end of the season). I re-bent the trailer fender back and should have my new tires for the weekend. Well I will be back at the lake this weekend. I have seen allot of other boaters here have much more major problems than I. Any problem with your boat no matter who you are is major till you get it fixed. Just wanted to let everyone know my story and that this board has been great. I have fixed all of my own problems since joining. I will also do all of my own maintenance. Thanx to everyone here. This is a great place.:D

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
That really sucks. We had the same thing happen to us a few weeks ago while trailering the boat from Miami to Cleveland. Had a blowout around Fort Meyers and then another one not even 15 minutes later. The worst part was that we only had one spare and had to get a lift to the Goodyear Tire Shop where they charged me $125 per tire. They actaully wanted an extra 15 bucks to balance and mount them. I couldn't belive that wasn't included in the cost. Isn't trailering fun?

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Hey, I'm glad the boats is OK. Nothing worse than driving home not really knowing if ther boat is scratched up or not.

How did the truck handle when the tire blew out?

- jeff

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wel the truck is a F350 4x4 dualie, I barely new a tire had blown. Felt like a dip in the road where your boa bounces up and down slightly, then stops. I actually had to drive for about 1 mile for somewhere to pull over and change the tire (Tennesee backroads to Kentucky lake). The only thing I notice was a little more drag. I actually thought my brakes started to lock up.

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
Jimbo, you getting transfered to Texas, which base ?
A few of the members here are from Tex. I usually get down to the Dallas area 2-3 times a year. Next trip probably won't be till fall. :)

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
jimgoog,sorry to hear that.Glad it's all fixed.

Last year on my way to the launch,this a-hole comes off a sideroad,(i,m doing 55 mph)and gets in frt of me doing like 10mph. Well needless to say I had to lock um up. So after I went completely friggin out of my skull,I continue on. About a mile down the road I notice smoke coming from my left trailer tire. I get out and couldn't even touch the rim. I am only a coupl of miles from the launch so I go for it. I get to the launch,drop the boat in,and when I get to the top of the ramp my wheel falls off. What happened is when I jammed o the brakes,they locked up,froze to the drum and took out the wheel bearing.Not good.

I had to replace the whole axel,and had to do it in the parking lot of the boat launch,where I had to leave my boat for a full week while I was waiting fro the axel.

Oh yea,during the week a major storm came thru,so I figured I should go check on the boat. Good thing. When I got there it had ripped my cockpit cover off and was only on by 1 snap.Sucked.

Now jimgoog,yu got me worried,if thing happen in 3's.....I still got one coming:eek:

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Well BN I had your extra this last weekend...... First thing Friday I go out to get the boat all hooked up and CLimb in to run the drives up..... well all 4 batteries are dead...... Charger going to town ubt all had died....so off to autozone I go and get 4 brand new ones.... So I hook up to the trailer and head to the ramp..... put the boat in the water and fire it off and cruise over to the Marina to claim my slip. Well as I am backing into it my buddy standing on the dock say hey your bilge pump came on twice since you hit the marina..... So we open the lid and sure enuff the sea water pump on the port motor is leaking like HE**...turns out the housing in cracked....so now I go to try and find one....... end up borrowing one from another guy in the club...but wait their is more.... So I work till almost 2am getting things back together .... then get up the next morning and off we go....we get to the first stop and when we get back from getting our card the starboard motor will not hit a lick won't spin thru at all..... so I putz around with it and figure out it is the solenoid bad.... well I jumped around it and got it running. So that shoud be it right....wrong on the way out I run up on a sand bar...... we finnally get off of it and make the rest of the run...but wait there is more....when I get back to the ramp to load up some SOB has stolen 4 of my 6 tires....... the only reason they didn't get them all was I had the others chained to a post...... so see you guys don't buy in to the 3's thing cause it ain't true.....

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
FA18 - man this may sound cruel....but last weekend it really sucked to be you!

sorry - I'm sure the next time out will be better...

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
FA18Driver,thats 5 things at one outing....ouch
But if jimgoog is right,now you still have one more coming........Just like me:confused:

if you knew that,you could have let 1 more thing happen,and be done with it.

But serious,sorry to hear you had such a chit outing.:(
But you did get to see the cue ball:D

Oh wait....you lost your camera too.Right???
Whew---thats number 6. Now your safe.:cool:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, not getting transferred to Texas, trying to go back to Columbus, Ga (a.k.a. Ft Benning). Longer boating season there. FA18driver, sorry to hear about all your troubles. I go thru like a pre-flight checklist before I even leave home. I wish I was there so we could catch that guy who stole your tires, that is bull#$%^. We could set up an empty trailer and watch it. Thieves are stupid!. I'm going out FRI-SAT-SUN this weekend. We have had some great wxr here. I just re-lubed the bearings and have a few more things to go. I will be ready though.

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
JIMBO...CALL PAGE ME AT 815-532-6652 or call me at 815-838-6652 I had the same trbl last year with 6 tires!!!THEY ARE DEFECTIVE(as in FIRESTONE) I got Carlisle to buy 4 of them for me!!!!! I'll tell you who I talked too...."SKIP":gunner: :gunner:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
You couldnt GIVE me another set of Carlisles,,, I had one let loose 2 years ago on the way home from the Ozarks,,,OK well it wasnt that bad,, It blew as I was backing the trailer into the driveway, but the tire was all seperated and bubbled,,, I bought a set of Goodyear marathons ( changed them all, I didnt trust the other 3 )and will never go back !!!

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
Sorry to here about all the trailer storys guys.
Been there done that! No fun.

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
hey your right I forgot about the camera....so that is 6 in less than 3 days...... Jeff you are right it did suck to be me last weekend...well part of the time...I still had a blast on the Poker Run and I had some really good friends come to my aid....Ya know I had more peole than I could count stop and lend assistance when I needed it so one good thing came from this..... and that is that it seems as a whole boaters are really nice folks...... Just like the gang around here.....

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
All those people helping,,, and NONE of them had a camera huh !!!??? No holding out on us now !!!

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
i have had a great year for blow outs and tire related problems, sarasota poker run on the way to stcloud for races blow a tire middle drivers side, no spare but get fixed (not my boat) then 30 minutes down the road middle tire passenger side snaps lug nuts and launches in the ditch. 20 miles on 5 tires then some aweome people from st cloud repaired for the ride home. next bout pulling josh from H2o 's fountain we are 30 minutes out of ft myers and lose a tire, no spare, chris reindl from reindl powerboats hooks us up with a spare , then we are off again 20 minutes later another tire blows, once again chris to the rescue. josh misses his plane sleeps in airport.
one week later im heading to cleveland with fountain and in charlotte a truck retread is in left lane on 77n, going 70 with no where to go its run over tire or run into 4 cars with joshes boat in the lane next to me. the tire was the obvious choice, hit the tire it hit the side panel on the truck, big hole and crack and $1300 damage :dead: ( got back from shop today)
then on the way home from cape cod race,pulling a bat boat lost a tire but no big deal had a spare. as you can see trailer and tire maint is important. i wish my buds would figure it out. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I'm thinking I would be giving up pulling other peolpes boats around if I was you !!!!!:( :( :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bigbloc, sorry to hear about all that. I agree with not nowing, my engine is the powerstroke deisel. Just thought i went over a small dip in the road. I called and spoke to ENIGMA. apprantly there is a small problem with carlisles. Mine appears to have have the same problem as his. I am working with Carlisle for a new tire, no charge now. The next set I get will be Goodyears.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts