Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. new to your forum, and I couldn't find any info on this specific issue. I am hoping someone may have an idea for me.

I recently replaced my trim solenoids on my 91 Chaparral SL 1800. The boat has been fine for the last couple of weeks. Yesterday, I went out to run the boat, and my trim would not work. I could hear the solenoids firing, so I got under the control panel and start squeezing the connectors on the trim guage where the wires connect, while holding the trim button up. This briefly engaged the trim.

The wires do not look frayed, so I was wondering- Could the guage itself have a short in it causing this problem? There is something connected to the back of the guage that slides out. I am assuming this may be the sender connection?

Any ideas on things to try to troubleshoot?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I understand that. What I am trying to figure out is whether my sender is bad, my guage is bad, or I have a short in one of my wires. I am going to ground my guage off of one of my other working guages tonight as I didnt have time to mess with it anymore last night to make sure I have good ground.

Will a faulty guage keep the motor from trimming?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Like Rchevelle said, the trim gauge circuit and the actual trim are two seperate issues. Sounds like you need to get the trim working right first, then worry about the gauge.

Ground the sender wire and the gauge should peg. I doubt it's the gauge, senders go bad more often than gauges.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. So should I pull the sender out of the guage and ground it at that point to another guage that I know is working? Or should I ground at the solenoids ( does the sender attach there as well?)

·
Registered
8,316 Posts
mtnislandlake said:
Thanks for the info. So should I pull the sender out of the guage and ground it at that point to another guage that I know is working? Or should I ground at the solenoids ( does the sender attach there as well?)
The sender is not at the gage, it is on the side of the drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh. Then what is the prong that has two wires connected to it that slides into the trim guage? Is that an inline fuse possibly? It is about 1/2 to an inch long and slides into the back of the guage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Solenoid

My trim solenoid was very intermittent for quite some time. It would work fine one day, and act strange the next. After chasing down wiring, switches, and grounds, I changed the dual solenoid setup and both engines work together instead of one at a time!! Before, I would here the click, but get no reaction from the pump, this was a useful hint as to the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts