Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1987 Chris Craft Stinger 26 feet long that has two problems. It has twin stock SBC's with 260 HP each and Alpha One drives. Not a barn burner but a nice boat. It came with cleaver props that are obviously the wrong choice for this setup but they work ok. When the boat comes up on plane, it leans to the port side, a lot. Cut the power and it levels up. When it's dead in the water it sits perfectly level. It has Bennett Trim tabs (the twin cylinder "sport" jobbers) that help but don't correct the problem.

Both engines/drives are right hand, i.e. the props turn the same direction. I can't believe that these little 350's have such a big rotating mass that it would cause this severe lean.

Second problem: The boat porpoises like crazy if the drives are trimed up even a little bit. It starts out small and quickly gets to scary proportions. Trim tabs don't help tjis proble at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Does it level out if you trim it up? My boat leans to port until I give it a little trim.

Aren't most twin setups counter rotating? I'd try putting a LH prop on the port side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trimming both drives up results in the porpoising problem and does not help the lean. Putting a LH prop on without reversing something(drive or engine) would make it go backwards or around in circles really fast!

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
two props rotating in the same direction can cause a serious lean, its more the props then the motors....

throw the drive in revers with a left hand prop on one side

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 88 Stinger but w / counter rotating Alphas. DO NOT put a counter rotating prop on a standard Alpha drive and switch the shifter around. You will blow up the drive quickly. You would have to buy a Counter rotating Alpha drive.

The hull porpoises with very little trim. I have my props turning in which seems to run better. I usually set the drives all the way down and trim up to just under flat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts