Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab, that I was wanting to get a little bit of lift out of and am trying to come up with some different options as far as what can be done.

Due to the fact that I have to haul motorcycles, quads, boat, and stuff for work, I don't want a big lift as far as height is concerned, 1.5- 2 inches or so is what I feel what give it a little better stance while still making it halfway easy to load and unload the toys.

Here is what I have come up with as far as ideas.

- Since the truck has torsion bars in the front, I thought you could get new torsion keys that are indexed differently, allowing you to give it a little bit of crank on the bars and still remain safe as far as you CV angles are concerned, and put a long add-a-leaf in the rear ( Figured with an AAL it would give me some height and allow a little more weight capacity).

I'm trying to keep this relatively cheap, but also want the best possible idea (maybe), since I will probably keep this truck for a while, I'd like to go with something reliable that won't accelerate wear on the suspension components.

Toss out any other ideas or thoughts, I've toyed with a suspension lift, but I just don't want to go that high lift wise, and for $800 - $1000, 2-3" thats a little much.

A couple of pics

It doesn't drop much when the boat is on there, but when the coolers and all other crap get tossed in, there is a little bit of a sag.

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you crank the bars, either with the stock keys or other keys you still lose suspension travel and the ride will be rougher and you will wear out parts sooner. I'm sure other people will disagree but that's my opinion.

My suggestion is I would take the money you want to spend on a lift and buy some bigger wheels and maybe a size or two bigger tires, that usually will give the illusion of riding a little taller. And if you are getting a little sag in the rear end with everything hooked up, put some helper bags on the rear, better than an AAL in that when its unloaded you will still have a good ride.

Every time I have ever lifted a truck I usually ended up regretting it and it ends up costing waaaay more money than I originally intended, but that's just me. I especially wouldn't do it if it is your daily driver. I have to admit tho the last truck I did, did turn out pretty sweet, actually its too tall and I need to lower it down about 4 inches and it will be good. BUT it's also not my daily driver, in fact the only time it gets driven is during deer season and if it snows bad in the winter....

·
Registered
181 Posts
And since this took me a year and cost twice as much as I planned :D . I actually bought the truck for the sole purpose of doing an SFA on it, designed and built all the brackets myself and it actually drives better/straighter than it did with the IFS at 70 down the highway(granted the IFS was 20 years old but still).

·
Registered
449 Posts
I agree with c_deezy, I have lifted many chevy trucks, and it always turns into something else.

Plus your current truck has independent front suspension with cv joints, lifts get real expensive in that arena.

Save your money, and get some different rims and tires!

My .02 :confused1

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I did the torsion bar twist on my HD. Gained over 3" in the front. Had it done at the dealer before I picked it up. They had to remove" knock outs" to get the alignment, but I LOVED it. Thought it rode great and the bumper was up where it belonged. Only put 6,000 miles on it, so I can not say about wear and tear. Probably do the same soon on my Expedition and get coil spacers for rear.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
3" body lift...some cut up rubber floor mats from home depot to cover the gaps between the frame and body and your done....under $200 and you can most tiumes run a 33" tire with no other modifications...probably have to trim the front bumper a little for sharp turns though....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wally said:
3" body lift...some cut up rubber floor mats from home depot to cover the gaps between the frame and body and your done....under $200 and you can most tiumes run a 33" tire with no other modifications...probably have to trim the front bumper a little for sharp turns though....

Actually that's not a bad idea, I did that to a different truck about 8 years ago, but I only went with a 2" and changed to poly mounts at the time as well. At least with a body lift you get the appearance but not quite as much wear and tear with cranking the bars. Still can be a hassle in and of itself tho.

Don't let me discourage you, it seems the older I get the less hassle I want out of things, and lifting trucks can turn into a real hassle! The only thing I plan on doing to my HD I bought last year as my haul vehicle is different wheels and tires AFTER the ones that are on there now wear out.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree with the body lift, there is no way to get a small lift without a whole kit, otherwise you will kill suspension components, I have installed about 12 lifts on silverados and have one on my 2500HD.

·
Registered
4,043 Posts
body lifts are hideous, further they put too much stress on the longer body mount bolts and the body mounts on the cab of the truck, I've installed tons of them, but can't stand them.

for 1-2" of lift on the front cranking the torsion bars is fine I doubt you will even notice the loss of down stravel, but you may notice the ride is a bit stiffer.

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
RCHEVELLE71 said:
All fixed and cleaned up later that same day :D

Your gonna get all muddy again backing out of the drive :winker: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Stokers Rule
4,387 Posts
Wally said:

That is what my brother did to his 99 Sierra 4x4. He drives it as a daily driver with 32" tires and he loves it. Been driving that truck for 6 years.

That is not my style but it was cheap and easy for him.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting answers, and they really made me think. A topic like this came up on a truck forum I frequent, and it seemed that most did torsion keys and cranking and like it to begin with, but after a while a majority of them put the truck back to stock. Their reason was the ride was too stiff in the front end and you could feel every little crevice in the road.

So I think I'll drop the torsion keys/crank idea. The truck is not a daily driver, as I have a work truck. Being in construction though, I've had to use it to pull trailers through a muddy jobsite, drive it in snow, and at my parents farm its used now and then (usually in mud). Worrying about the front end components as when I'm in a situation is the last thing I want to worry about.

Maybe in the winter time I'll look into a full suspension lift of some sort.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
The 96 4dr Tahoe i just picked up is running 285's all the way around.....is has the front T-bars cranked and 2" blocks in the rear.....i dont know how heavy of an offroading trip it could handle, but if your going for looks only its another option.. :D

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hydrant said:
Interesting answers, and they really made me think. A topic like this came up on a truck forum I frequent, and it seemed that most did torsion keys and cranking and like it to begin with, but after a while a majority of them put the truck back to stock. Their reason was the ride was too stiff in the front end and you could feel every little crevice in the road.

So I think I'll drop the torsion keys/crank idea. The truck is not a daily driver, as I have a work truck. Being in construction though, I've had to use it to pull trailers through a muddy jobsite, drive it in snow, and at my parents farm its used now and then (usually in mud). Worrying about the front end components as when I'm in a situation is the last thing I want to worry about.

Maybe in the winter time I'll look into a full suspension lift of some sort.
When you are ready let me know, I have installed just about every lift out there and can give you some insight into them, cost, durability, quality, etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've lifted one truck with a Fabtech 4.5" suspension lift. The only reason I lifted it was I thought that with the 8' bed and crew cab it would look more proportional than factory. Ended up that it was the best riding and driving truck I've ever had. This was an 01 and had the leaf springs in front. Granted mostly highway miles and I don't think I'd go any more than the 4.5"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind on the chevy's.......they realy dont like anything bigger then a 33" tire....the front bearing/hubs wear out fsater with the bigger load on them.....

1 - 20 of 43 Posts