Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IM LOOKING FOR AN UNPOWERED HULL WITH DRIVES IN THE 38' UP RANGE. I HAVE 2 1400 HP ROLLS ROYCE GNOME TURBINES THAT NEED A PLACE TO PLAY.IM OPEN TO ANY OPTIONS VEE OR A CAT. A CAT WOULD BE A KILLER PLACE FOR THIS POWER PACKAGE.IF ANYONE HAS A THOUGHT OR AN IDEA GIVE ME A SHOUT!
THANKS MARK

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
#6's will handle that power fine. the power produced from turbines is far more smooth than an engine can ever be. The result it better drive life.
I speak from close experience of this exact set up!

·
Registered
543 Posts
CJ,

Is MyWayII running dry sump #6's? I would have thought the Arneson's would give better top end performance? Don't know much about either drive!

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Nope, he's running #6's. I would think a surface drive would give better top speed aswell. But no one can tell them anything they don't already know! If you know what I mean!

·
Registered
543 Posts
CJ,

Ya I hear ya, Dam nice looking machine your uncle has there! I hope Extream boats does an artical on it! It makes Jet Set look dated, like the 15 yr. old boat it is!

HeatWave

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Yah, I half thought about E mialing them a little picture and let them know about it, but then I thought, wait a minuet, I don't like this guy!
It seems that this new mag is states only. I hope not.
You mention jet set, did you notice that the speedo in the picture in the mag was a water pickup type! I don't know how accurate those are at that speed! Or how much they are even in the water. Before bill changed his to gps, the speedo's would just bounce between 120 and 150.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Ya I remember the guy over at the other site. He sure was taken with Jet Set! and very very biased, I remember him quoting speeds of 196 mph. I guess he has never had an opportunity to see a really well rigged Turbine setup like your uncles "My Way II" or the turbine Skater (or Eliminator, not sure?) down here in Dallas called "Flash Gordon". Both of these boats look professionally rigged and up to date.

I would bet that guy will do every artical he writes on JetSet;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
OH come on now . How can you knock JEt set? Have you seen it in person ? Pictures do it no justice ! As for speedo's .... HE has 4 ! Regular water , air speed indicaters, GPS, and RADAR ! I think he knows how fast it is . In fact the owner has never said how fast it is . the only ones know are those who have ridden in it . I was 188mph in it with 6 people and 400 gallons of fuel ! Not too shabby for an "old boat" . As a matter of fact the "old boat " has a brand new look now . No offence but I just think it's rude to knock someone elses boat ....... :eek:

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I'm not trying to knock it, I am expressing my opinion! I mentioned how I don't know how acurate water pickup tubes are at those speeds.
If your post is referring to mine........go back and read again. I'm not knockinh anyone or there boat!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Boot said:
OH come on now . How can you knock JEt set? Have you seen it in person ? Pictures do it no justice ! As for speedo's .... HE has 4 ! Regular water , air speed indicaters, GPS, and RADAR ! I think he knows how fast it is . In fact the owner has never said how fast it is . the only ones know are those who have ridden in it . I was 188mph in it with 6 people and 400 gallons of fuel ! Not too shabby for an "old boat" . As a matter of fact the "old boat " has a brand new look now . No offence but I just think it's rude to knock someone elses boat ....... :eek:
Boot,

That was my post! I have seen the boat, and I was not knocking Jet Set, I simply said there are other very nicely rigged turbine boats out there and I thought if they were looking for Xtream boats, these would fit the bill, probably better than Jet Set! My personal opinion, CJ said nothing other than question the acuracy of the speedos! I look forward to seeing the new look! It is a very fast boat, no doubt. But, there are other very fast, well rigged, more up to date turbine cats out there! My Way I and MyWay II as well as Flash Gordon!

HeatWave

·
Registered
267 Posts
Hey no harm done ! :D Your all right , Speedo's do vary . We "cruised" the whole bay, at 180 like it was nothing . Then he punched it !! That was "extreme" ! And there are plenty of beautiful boats out there that deserve to be in magazines but they can't all be in there at once . The others you mensioned are definatly worthy of mension and I look forward to the future articals on them !! :cool: This is the first time Jet sets ever been in a magazine . I have seen my way in many magazines ! The boat sure does have a good following .

Hey ,is "myway " doing new york Poker run this year ? I would love to see it in person . LAter , JOE

·
Registered
258 Posts
I talked to Firestorm Turbine Thursday on rigging a 30 Motion at the end of the season. I was interested in rigging it with an 1100 HP FT-53 Hurricane turbine and getting in touch with IMCO on there new gear-spltter gear case.

Firestorms system is a fly by wire system monitoring all the parameters to keep the system safe.

www.firestrm.ca

Howard Murray was the contact.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Boot,

I put the Bluechip box in my Dodge and it works GREAT.

Put it in Dragrace mode and at 63% more fuel it's like dropping 5 gallons of fuel right before the turbo spools up, ALL THAT SMOKE stops traffic and it's like hitting the NOS.

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HAVE A 1988 39 EXPRESS CAT COMPLETELY RE GELCOATED READY FOR RIGGING ALSO HAVE COMPLETELY REBUILT ARENESONS TO GO WITH IT THAT WERE DONE BY ARNESON, NO EXPENSE SPARED, NEW INTERIOR ALSO TO WITH, CALL 609-685-0129 MIKE IF YOU ARE INTERESTED

·
Registered
2 Posts
#6's will handle that power fine. the power produced from turbines is far more smooth than an engine can ever be. The result it better drive life.
I speak from close experience of this exact set up!
Yes 6s will work, just need to check every season. Gerry ran them from 07 till 20 with 1200hp blowers.for 2yrs then went back and rigged it back to Turbines that he bought in 08. Boat is KNOT RIGHT out of mass. Was My Way Turbine 1 with 1350s. Now since 19 they are 2000hp each. He bought BPMs and rudder. That he installed in 20. I think he rebuilt the 6s twice over the 12yrs he had it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts