Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Stokers Rule
Joined
·
4,387 Posts
Tetra moly is the best automotive grease for extreme pressure but it doesn't have the water resisting abilities that marine grease does.

You can use auto grease if you want to but that would be a compromise of protection for your boat; it is auto :winker:
 

·
Stokers Rule
Joined
·
4,387 Posts
I have two grease guns hanging in the shop. One is auto and one is marine. Gotta have both. :bigsmile:
 

·
Stokers Rule
Joined
·
4,387 Posts
goebel1 said:
aquaforce said:
I have two grease guns hanging in the shop. One is auto and one is marine. Gotta have both. :bigsmile: [/QUOTE


I will be a proud owner of two also :laugher: :laugher: :laugher: ]


Great :bigsmile:
Definately don't want to shortcut the protection for the boat. Some do, I don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
Correct, you do NOT want to use 2-4-C lube foe U-joints & the gimbal bearing, that's for everything else, pivot points, steering, etc..

What you need to use is Mercury Universal Joint & Gimbal Bearing Grease, Part # 92-802871A 1

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fyhr Factor said:
Correct, you do NOT want to use 2-4-C lube foe U-joints & the gimbal bearing, that's for everything else, pivot points, steering, etc..

What you need to use is Mercury Universal Joint & Gimbal Bearing Grease, Part # 92-802871A 1

:)
Thanks you Sir for clearing that up.
 

·
383 Mouse Powered 80.5GPS
Joined
·
682 Posts
Fyhr Factor said:
Correct, you do NOT want to use 2-4-C lube foe U-joints & the gimbal bearing, that's for everything else, pivot points, steering, etc..

What you need to use is Mercury Universal Joint & Gimbal Bearing Grease, Part # 92-802871A 1

:)

I've been using 24C for everything including all the above since 84 on the Challenger. Gimball bearing is original and turns great. No need for replacing it. Also use it for the bearings on my trailer which are also original. It might say not to use it but I have proof it works just fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
Ryan00TJ said:
I've been using 24C for everything including all the above since 84 on the Challenger. Gimball bearing is original and turns great. No need for replacing it. Also use it for the bearings on my trailer which are also original. It might say not to use it but I have proof it works just fine.

That's very interesting Ryan, I'm glad it worked for you, and if Mercury recommended I could use it, I would...but they don't, so I won't...
It does state on the 2-4-C tube that it's fine for trailer wheel bearings,, it is a great water resistant grease...so that makes sense...

Just curious what your reasoning was for using it on the U-joints and gimbal bearing???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
No problem, I can understand the need to be sure..that's the way I am too..

When you get the grease, it'll say right on the tubes what it's good for, I use the small 3.5 oz tubes, usually comes in 3 packs, only because I have a small grease gun just for the boat, but it's available in the larger tubes too.
Do you have a Mercury Parts dealer/store near you?? they usually have all this stuff on the shelf, they may charge a little more, but you don't have to wait or pay for shipping either.. Just a thought.. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fyhr Factor said:
No problem, I can understand the need to be sure..that's the way I am too..

When you get the grease, it'll say right on the tubes what it's good for, I use the small 3.5 oz tubes, usually comes in 3 packs, only because I have a small grease gun just for the boat, but it's available in the larger tubes too.
Do you have a Mercury Parts dealer/store near you?? they usually have all this stuff on the shelf, they may charge a little more, but you don't have to wait or pay for shipping either.. Just a thought.. :)
I live in a small town and it is 48 miles to the next big town that why I have to order everything
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fyhr Factor said:
No problem, I can understand the need to be sure..that's the way I am too..

When you get the grease, it'll say right on the tubes what it's good for, I use the small 3.5 oz tubes, usually comes in 3 packs, only because I have a small grease gun just for the boat, but it's available in the larger tubes too.
Do you have a Mercury Parts dealer/store near you?? they usually have all this stuff on the shelf, they may charge a little more, but you don't have to wait or pay for shipping either.. Just a thought.. :)
Do you work for a Mercury Parts dealer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,516 Posts
goebel1 said:
I live in a small town and it is 48 miles to the next big town that why I have to order everything
That's quite a trip, no wonder you have to order things, shipping cost is a bargain then, compared to the fuel to get you there and back.

And no, I don't work for Mercury dealer.. If I did, I'd give ya a deal... :winker:
 

·
383 Mouse Powered 80.5GPS
Joined
·
682 Posts
Fyhr Factor said:
That's very interesting Ryan, I'm glad it worked for you, and if Mercury recommended I could use it, I would...but they don't, so I won't...
It does state on the 2-4-C tube that it's fine for trailer wheel bearings,, it is a great water resistant grease...so that makes sense...

Just curious what your reasoning was for using it on the U-joints and gimbal bearing???
Really had no reasoning other than I had and still have 50 tubes in the garage. :D It is a very good water resistent grease.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top