Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a new tow vehicle, and was looking at Fords F-250 and F-350's, not to sure what to get. Needing some serious input. I will use the vehicle mainly for towing, so I am looking at used right now. Gas, I guess is not the biggest concern. Our suburban just aint cuttin the hills in Austin.:(

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Seriously, I know Jeff would recommend his F-250 Super Duty 4x4 in a heartbeat!

Austin... great place! I have fond memories of a couple of business trips there.:)

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
I've always driven Chevy's & Fords.
2 years ago my dad bought a new 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 ext cab SBox with the Cummins turbo diesel.
I was never much of a Dodge truck fan, but after driving his truck, nothing out there even compares. (Just my opinion)
This thing has unbelievable torq., it will pull anything and it has ! It is very stable on curves and you feel like you're driving a car.
His hwy fuel mileage is 19 mpg. He bought one that was fully loaded and was $40k+ when new, but worth every penny.
Not sure what used ones are going for, but I would give it a thought.
He's in Gun Barrel City, near Dallas. If you're over that way you can check his out. :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
All the Big three's diesels are good BUT the only real diesel is a straight 6 !!!:D

Here's my opinion:
If you want a luxury truck with the power to tow and the money to spare go with the Duramax. Myself I'm not to keen on the Aluminum heads on a diesel thing but other than that they seem like really great trucks.

Now between the PSD and the Cummins , if MPG is important go with the Dodge. If it doesn't matter go with whatever turns you on.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram Quad cab 4x4 with the Cummins and it is my daily driver. I love it ! It has been the best vehicle purchase I've ever made. I'm getting 16mpg in the city and 18mpg on the highway (70-75) and I get 12-13 towning 6500-7000lbs (70-75) now my friend chipped is Cummins and is getting 18 in the city and 21 on the freeway, and towing their 11,000 lb race car trailer he's getting 14-15. I haven't seen that last part with my own eyes though. I know he hates towing so it is probably around 60-65mph.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
CHEVY DURAMAX !!!!!!!

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently have a Dodge 4x4 with the 5.9, and I am real happy with, but for some reason, it will not pull the boat like the suburban. Chevy was a big consideration, but with theft rate of those vehicles (espically my hood) I would not want to risk that. :D

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy the diesel.

My Triton V8 is great, but the diesel would boost the resale value and make towing a 'little' easier...especially if I decide (and can afford) to tow a 10,000 lb boat ...

Buy the diesel. My truck also sits in the driveway all week long and only get's used on the weekends....

ps: I love my Super Duty F250.

- jeff

·
Registered
259 Posts
Go with the diesel. I have a 2002 F350 and love it. Not to mention with a diesel it is much better for towing, longer engine life, improved fuel economy, and resale. Another thought to think about is fuel, diesel fuel does not fluctuate in price do to the shipping industry nearly as gasoline does. If your up north, you would just have to add anti-gel when it gets cold.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
oh yea... mileage as jimgoog says is better along with lower fuel prices and better towing. My F250 eeks out about 13 mpg with a 4:10 rear.

·
chief bottle washer
1,561 Posts
We have the V10 4x4 Crew Cab 1999 version. My wife, yes guys I'll admit it, would not let me spend the $4000 for the diesel. After 40K of 10 mpg, and if anyone tells you better they are lying, she would "let me" purchase the diesel. We even have a diesel Jetta, 40+ mpg, and she loves it. She was worried about the smell and the sound when I was working in a different city and she had the truck every day. My father has a Dodge (15 mpg, 19 mpg empty w/a tail wind) and it's the loudest thing next to a F16 flying by. The duramax is nice, but pretty pricey.

·
Registered
753 Posts
What kind of diesels do the big trucks have ?

Not trying to start anything just curious.
Aren't most of them Cat's or Cummins ? No V-8 style just the straight 6 or 8 . Why is that?

Yes the Eddie the Cummins is loud as hell , You should hear it on a below zero morning !!!:eek:

·
Registered
259 Posts
26 Scarab, most are V-8's. Mine is the 7.3l turbo diesel. Just about all of then have turbo's now too. The duramax is definitely the quietest. I drove all 3 before I bought mine. I recommend the dual rear wheels for towing the big loads too. The ride is smoother in them compared to the single rear wheel models. I used to only buy GMC's and Chevy's. The Ford had the best Driver visibilty and interior room. The Chevy is the most expensive kinda cramped up front with not as much front and rear visibilty. The Dodge had great braking, but seemed the most sluggish of the three. I have heard Dodge's lose alot of power to the rear wheels thru their transmission. The chevy with the allison is tops in that department. My recomendation is if you want one go out and drive all of them to include the dual rear wheeled model. You won't notice much until you have a big load back there and some crosswind.

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used my father in laws 1999 f250 sd 4wd diesel super cab to tow a 28 Sunsation and got 12.5 at 75mph ,the last 60 miles were up&down hills in MO. Go diesel..in which ever you buy!;) ;)

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I never had a diesel, so are you saying the v-8 diesel has more towing capacity than the v-10. I found a 2002 F-350 duallie v-8 diesel, superduty 4x4 with the quad cab for 32,000, it only has 632 miles on it. I havent really shopped around yet, so not sure if its a deal or not, I prefer to save the money and buy used.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind guys is with a diesel it is very easy to up your horsepower. There are alot of companies that offer up graded computer chips, exhaust, that can give you an extra 100 horse fast and cheap. I even seen Shade tree mech TV show install a propane injection kit on a cummins that gave it some 200 HP! If those guys can do it we all can. Something to think about. If you want to increase a Chevy or Ford gas engine you are going to pay, for anything that works well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
NASDBOY, sounds like a great deal to me. I would recommend you check the insurance/accident history on it. I agree on buying used. I bought mine after the 9/11 incident and the interest rates were really low. I think mine is 4.3 % at 60 mos.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
That 2002 for 32k sounds godd, especially if it is a Lariat. For Boat ramp work, an auto trans is almost a must. Dodge has not had good luck with theirs, but their 5 speed stick has been fine. Forget the v-10-unless it is a steal and you won't put on a lot of miles. Also, both dodge and ford have new diesels comming out this fall-2003 models. the Cummins is bumped up in power and hopefully quieter while fords new navistar is a smaller v-8 version with more power. They also have plans to take that engine, cut off the back to cyl. to shorten it up to put in expeditions/f-150 size engine rooms. I don't think a dually is necessary for towing-but would be good for hauling a camper. For sure don't get a chevy unless it is the new duramax-that and the allison trans is a great combo. Also the Fords have a 1k rebate-but if you get a new Ford, get one mfg after Jan 30 this year-it has a few changes to make more power and torque. A loaded 250 4 door, 4x4 Lariat Diesel with the rebate should cost 36,500 to 37,000.

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think it is a Lariat, it has wood on the door panels, and leather interior. From what I can see thats the only difference. Dont know if I want another 900 dollar car note since I just paid off the dodge. Anyone interested in a mildly used dodge 4x4? looks good, runs good, could use a little body work?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Of the big three I think if you can you should go with the Duramax. They are the quietest and have best in class towing. The extended cab and the crew cab have best in class passanger room. Gas mileage when empty will be better with a diesel but when you are towing a heavy load the difference is minimal. If you are looking for a heavy hauler but don't want to cough up the extra coin for the deisel the GM 8.1L will tow the same as the duramax.
Next I would go with the Ford diesel they seem to be a pretty solid truck and the powerstroke seems to be a good set up.
To be honest I wouldn't bother with the Dodge.
Let me know if I can help. I sell these things so I may have something that you may be interested in.
Musso

1 - 20 of 24 Posts