Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out for a normal run on the lake with the stereo at high Volume and running the boat at 35 mph, i notice a surge of power from the engine, stereo shuts down, and look at the volt gauge it is all the way up, i slow down, volts go way down.

I put the boat in neutral and trim the engine up a bit.................dead :dead1: ..............no power to anything. I get the volt meter out and start poking around, find the circuit breaker button on top of the engine, push it......................... :shocked: whalla, engine starts back up but still no stereo power???

Anyone have a clue what caused this? Still no power at all to the CD player, but everything else seems ok, Volts are normal for now.

Haven't had a chance to get under to look at the fuses. :pirate:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sounds like the voltage regulator on the alternator may have died. If so you could have had high enough voltage to fry your electronics...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I am going to check some fuses tonight when it cools down, 105* is hot as hell. Also try and take the alternator off and get it checked out. Newbie question but do I have to get a marine alternator? :bigsmile: I'm sure the non-marine would work but just not as safe? :dead1: Thanks guys let ya know what I find out. :pirate:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Yes, don't mess around with an automotive alternator, they don't have the spark shielding on them like a marine version, so get a marine alt. if you value your safety, you can get them on-line for under $100.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found a blown in-line fuse for the stereo replaced it, everything works now. :D

Going to get the alternator checked out this weekend we shall see if the regulator is bad or not!! :bandit:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts