Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19.5 open bow with limited floor space. I have a decent sound system as is, however, I am wanting more. Mainly because we are usually out of the boat on the beach a lot and makes it difficult to hear much if any! I am wanting to build two separate boxes with 10" subs and possibly some midrange/ tweeters loaded in it also. I've searched around a little with minimal success. I was thinking along the lines of the 'old' truck boxes that have 10's, mids and highs. That way they can be pulled to the front to the bow and will be able to heard without actually being in the boat. With that being said, a local stereo shop said that technology was outdated and was why I was having trouble finding such. Anyone have any ideas how to solve this dilemma? Also, I'm needing to keep the boxes fairly mobile as I store it at a marina with the possibility of theft!

thanks all!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Make the boxes yourself. Be a fun little weekend project. Keep`em slim so they`re lite and easy to move. If your worried about theft make them potable so you can take them off the boat when not using.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
I run an Infinity Baslink in my boat. Self powered by built in amp. 10" sub and passive rediator. Not competion quality thumping by any means but it is all one piece compact unit. I been happy so far! I was able to fit it WAY up in a sole locker. Takes up no "usable" space at all really. And located where it is, the bass radiates through the boat well.
An idea for ya...

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Problem with trying to get bass in a boat is that to have bass you need to move air....a boat is an open air environment so the further away from the boat you get the less bass you will get....when i had my 30' Scarab, i had 4 infinity perfect 10's in separate sealed chambers incorporated in to the back seat....inside the boat you couldn't see straight when the bass hit.....but step outside the boat and walk 10' away and all you heard was the highs.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SweetEmotion, that is exactly what I have in mind. However, not sure the best speaker set-up. Local shop told me if I mounted tweeters in a sub box it would blow the tweets out of the box. I know I'm not going to get pantie vibrating bass outside/away from the boat, but would like to have some in/close to the boat. Like I said, I was considering the 'old' truck style boxes for the simple reason they were 'full range' so to speak. However, the guy at the local stereo shop said that was outdated technology! Needing some guidance here guys :confused: !!!!

thanks

·
Dirty
651 Posts
if you make the boxes yourself and they do not meet the speakers cal's they will never sound right.

look into small pre-made they make small 8" tobe that can be tucked up under gunels and thing that sound good cuase they are made and tuned perfect.

also jbl maked some really small boxes with alote of sound.

i have 2 10" and 1 - 12"

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Babbs are the bomb! Now are sold as DC Gold. I have 2) 5 1/4 & 2)6x9's. They have tons of bass and are built to last. They are pricey though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had the same problem with my Talon. Stereo sounded great in the boat, but when on the beach you really couldn't hear the mids and highs very good. My rig had two 10" subs in ported enclosures, 6.5" mids separates and two large amps. All I did was buy Bose marine speakers and installed a switch so when we were on the beach I could switch the mids and highs from the amps to the Bose speakers. Just had some long speaker wire and connectors to plug them in. Mounted a base to each speaker with little rubber feet so they wouldn't slide or scratch.

It was very surprising how good this sounded! Since I wasn't sending low frequency signals to the Bose speakers I could really crank it up without overloading them and it really helps having the mids and highs directed right at you. Don't worry about having the bass speakers out of the boat. Bass is non-directional. As long as you have enough power you will feel and hear the bass just fine and with the right equipment (cross-overs and amps) it will blend really nice with those little Bose speakers. Just a thought...

You could also make your own boxes, but I would only make them for the mids and tweets. Keep the bass in the boat. Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts