Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,this 1 is way out there. Anyone know about racoons. I have one that is trying to get into my attic by pushing up my soffit. Last year he managed to get in but I repaired the soffit area and then covered it with chicken wire. Well he's back and has managed to pull away the wire. So I took a piece of particle board and drove about 1000 nails thru it and placed it under the eves. I screwed 1 side to the facia.I did't want to nail it into the roof. Well I just looked and the little SOB moved the bed of nails and pushed the whole sofit up under my eves. Looks like just enough to fit his ass in. So I put up more wire and secured the bed of nails so it can't be moved unless he has a tool belt with him.

The funny thig is I cut the chit out of my hands moving the bed of nails and he did it with no problem:laugher:

Ok here's the big question. Where do racoons hang during the day? The reason I need to know is maybe he is up in the attic somewhere and now I have shut his door:confused: I don't want the Basta*d to chew a whole thru my drywall and get in the house.

Anyone from Speedwake farm and fleet have any advice?

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
Paul, check this link : http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/agdex/600/84000016.html

Where do racoons hang out during the day ? Apparently your attic !
:D
They sleep during the day and hunt (scrounge) at night. They like dark areas. If you can, put a couple lights in your attic until you're sure he is gone. They also don't like loud noise. Put a speaker up there also.
If you know someone with a **** dog and or if its legal to fire a weapon where you are at, that is one way.
Otherwise the best way is to trap them. Then again, give him a name and you have a new pet. :D

Good luck !

When I said weapon, a .22 rifle or pistol will do. Ya don't need a M16 or bazooka !
Please remember GUN SAFETY !

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
See Boatnut, the little racoon knows how much you love animals and you would take them in, in a heart beat!! He is just trying to make a home for himself under your roof!!

If you trap him, be nice!! They are really cute!!!!!

:) :)

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stuchamp said:
When I said weapon, a .22 rifle or pistol will do. Ya don't need a M16 or bazooka !
Please remember GUN SAFETY ! [/B]
:laugher: :laugher: :laugher:
Denny,thanks for the info. Like I said,hope it's not too late since I think I closed off the entrance.
So now here's the next question. Lets say I now have the racoon trapped in the attic.I'm sure it is pretty pis*sed off now.
I have a set of pull down stairs in my garage to get up into the attic. So assuming it's trapped and it's pis*ed off What size gun will I need now ?:gunner: :gunner: :laugher:

Or like my wife just said when she read your reply,seems he knows alot about them,have him come over:D

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
1boatnut said:

So assuming it's trapped and it's pis*ed off What size gun will I need now ?

Seriously, if you're nervous around wild animals, call pest control.
If cornered, they bite and scratch like hell ! (been there & done that)
If I was closer, I'd be over to help you. :)

Attachments

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stuchamp:quote
If I was closer, I'd be over to help you.

I"ll wait:D

I'll leave the porch lite on:laugher:

But seriously,I'm listening now. About 15 minutes ago there was all kind of noise. I went outside and didn't see anything. Two possibilities. ! it came by to get in and when it couldn't it finally left
(I hope)

Or It is in the attic trying to get out(I hope not)according to the article this is when they have their babies,so they will be extra mean:mad:

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
1boatnut said:

so they will be extra mean:mad:

Oh yeah ! Wouldn't you !
I'd wait till the morning before going in the attic to check whats there. Just don't corner one if he's there. Take a coal or large shovel for some protection, mainly so you have something between you and him if he's there. If he's trapped there, close off the stairs and get some help.
After you're sure he gone, you might also want to install some steel screen on the inside of your soffit area.
How is he getting to your outside soffit ? Is there a tree or something close to it ?

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey paul, that big tree in your yard next to the house is probably the way the are getting on the roof. If you want, i can bring over my chain saw to get rid of that 1 branch before3 or after your 1130 phone call.skip

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
p.s. I also have a big shovel and a big rake and an extra BOOM box. it has a cassette player on it so we can play some rap or mettalica for IT!!!!!

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It either crawled up a down spout or jumped from the tree right behind my house.
It is definately in the attic. I can hear it scratching and making alot of noise. It is right over my living room.My wife is concerned of it getting into the house. If it weighs 30-40 lbs, all it has to do is fall between the joice and land on the drywall and fall in thru the ceiling.I have 4 parrots and after reading that article,the get right into chicken coops. The one that was hanging around last year was as big as my one dog.

*I have pull down stairs in the garage. Wonder if I pull the stairs down and open the garage if it will be smart enough to jump out.

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
BN-This is more fun than watching Suvivors.

The sound you heard is her trying to get out.

If you play music in the attic-make it cajun-******** sounds seem appropriate.

Don't use the lights-as the **** will pull them down and start a fire.

To be safe-as you probably locked her up in the attic-leave the stairs down and the door open. (Downside is more could come to there new home)

Call 911 or animal control.
Get the corn out of the attic.
Can we have a picture in the Gallery?
I am interested in Stuchamps ? How did she get to the soffit to start with?

Should we start a Speedwake relief fund?
The saga continues

·
Premium Member
18,074 Posts
1boatnut said:

*I have pull down stairs in the garage. Wonder if I pull the stairs down and open the garage if it will be smart enough to jump out.
As Gilla says, their also smart enough to bring more in. I should have also said battery powered lamps.
Is your attic partially floored or high enough to stand up in ?
If not, I don't recommend going up there. It might be you falling thru the ceiling.
Best bet, call pest or animal control.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Sound like we are going to have to start calling you CoonNut:laugher: :laugher:

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok. You thought this was funny last night,wait till you here this. Grab a cup of coffee cause this is gonna be a LONG story. Well I was right,the sounds I heard was from it trying to get out,not in!!!! obnoxus comes over about 11:00 pm,and we figure with the two of us this racoon has met it's match. Yea right.We go into my attic with a 38 and a 9mm and we spot the racoon by my soffit area. We cannot reach it from the attic,nor do we want to.Plan B. We go outside and decide if we bang on the soffit so we can scare it out. No luck. We realize now we are dealing with some sorta SUPER RACOON,or this thing is educated in GORILLA WARFARE :confused: We decide to pull down some of the soffit,with the hopes it will drop out.We were right,two of the babies fell to the ground.But RAMBO RACOON is still up there.:mad: By now it is 2am. So we wait. We start beating on the soffit,and this thing is now Growling & Hissing .So we wait some more.Finally this behemoth of a creature climbs out to get her babies.She stares us straight in the eyes as to give us the big F.U and runs off with one of the babies. obnoxus had a clean shot,but no heart when he saw it with the baby.I finally convinced him when it returned we needed to shoot it.We wait about another half hour for her to come for the other one.We turned our back for one second,and she snatched up the other baby. So no we go back by the soffit,only to hear the sounds of at least one more baby still up there.Now we are ticked off. The wait begins.

I get about 2000 watts of halogen lites,in hopes to get a better shot at it.While obnoxus and I are sitting on the lawn wondering when it will return,out of the darkness we hear a growl. We look across the street and the damn thing had Out FLANKED US. obnoxus peel off a shot and misses. So now we wait some more.We again see this thing coming up my drive,obnoxus fires off another round,and yep boys and girls misses again.

Funny part about all this is when my boat was parked on my driveway I was treated like public enemy #1 by the county. But its 3-3:30 am and were fireing off a 9mm and no one seemed to care.Well back to the story.(Sorry this is so long)

Ok,back to waiting again. This alien racoon:alien: now is coming from all directions every time we turn around. Two more shot attempts,2 moremisses

Ok,now a different approach. We decide we will let it go back in the soffit to get it's babies and shoot it on the way out. Well the thing comes back again,we watch it climb the rain gutter,but it can't seem to get back into the open soffit. It jumps on the roof,me and Dennis are chasing it from side to side trying to get a clean shot. Well finally Dennis thinks he has a shot,peels off another round,and you guessed it folks,missed. We start chasing it back and fourth on the roof and then SUPER RACOON does the unexpected.

While chasing her,she goes back to her original entry area and rips down the chicken wire and through a small hole dives right through the BED OF NAILS and gets back into the soffit.

W.T.F :confused: :gunner:
This S.O.B did it to us again.:rambo:

So to rap this up,it is now 5am and we decide to leave the soffit open and maybe this damn thing will get the rest of it's babies and leave thru the opening. If not we will start this again around 10 or 11:eek:o pm:devious: It is raining here as I write this and so far no water is leaking through my 2 year old roof,from our missed shots.

This is now personel :mad: :gunner: :

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ATTN MR. 'O'....Jeff told me he thinks Rink's gun shop on Archer & 143rd sells LASER SITES for the 9mm!!!!maybe then you wont miss!!!!! my uncle has a 12guage if we want to redo Paul's roof before the season starts,or maybe we could just dump some tar on the holes and call it a day!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Well, I have to say I was worried when Obnoxus left last night. Especially with the 38 and the 9......I just told him that I don't want the phone call "COME BAIL ME OUT OF JAIL!!" He told me not to worry that Mrs. Boatnut1 would come get them.

Well, I went to bed at about 11:30pm, expecting to hear the garage door open about 12:30 - 1:00am. Needless to say I heard the garage door go up, but when I opened my eyes it was the start of day light!! 5:45AM!!

:confused: :confused:

I asked Obnoxus 'Did you get it??" He just laughed and started to tell me this story Boatnut wrote above.......so people, if you didn't believe the story - it is VERY TRUE!!!!!

So tonight when Obnoxus decides to head over there again for round 2, AGAIN, I will tell him that I am not bailing him out!!!!!!! I just hope these two goof balls don't end up shooting themselves first before the racoon!!!!!! You think she was growling at you last night, she would be laughing her ass of then!!

Can't wait to hear about Chapter 2!!:laugher: :laugher:

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I need to have the gun checked,,, I got it from my dad when he died,,,,, I have never shot it before last night,,, I had the little ******* right in the sights and missed,,,I need to have the sights aligned.

Now all,,,, what Paul is neglecting to mention about last night is when I was hiding behind a tree, the little guy comes around the cornor of the house,,, as I am waiting for it to move away from the gas meter he yells,,,, HEY DEN THERE IT IS !!!! At which point it runs into the treeline !!!!

Let me better discribe the FLANKING move to,,,, we are in the FRONT lawn when it comes out of the roof, it grabs a baby and goes around the BACK of the house,,, so we watch the back of the house for it to come back for the other one.

The growl he told you about came from behind us, across the street !!!! The damn thing went around the other side of the house, got across the street, and snuck up behind us !!!!

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Don't ya hate it when a **** whips your A** like that???? I had a Secret Squirrel do me the same way once.......... Good Luck.... Oh yea I think the gun is ok, maybe it was the 12 pack made ya miss???

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.