1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(fuel pump Q) need help

96 7.4L

Boat ran great all weekend long.

At the end of the weekend I went to start it up, and it squeeled like a stuck pig. Shut it off, and restarted, same thing.

Open the hatch, and see the belt on the fuel pump is not spinning when the motor is running. First thought was it was loose, but it had good tension. I grabbed the fuel pump pulley, and gave it a 1/4 turn. Started the boat back up, and everything was fine.

Think I should replace the belt, pulley ?

btw, I tried telling the wife it was time for a new boat. She didn't buy it, and told me to fix it. :D

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I would pull the pump and impeller off and inspect it for missing pieces. You might have sucked up debris and jambed the impeller of the seawater pump.
As far as the fuel pump pulley being lubed? What pulley seized? The idler or the actual pulley that drives the fuel pump and seawater pump?
The other problem could be the seawater pump housing is the "transmission" for the fuel pump. It requires lube and serviced once in a while. If it has leaked and gone dry the bearings can seize causing problems.

See this thread
http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56736

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure which pulley siezed. the Crank pulley was spinng, and the belt wasn't. I just grabbed the fuel pump pulley, and gave it 1/4 turn, it actually turned pretty easily, so I don't think it was siezed. Impeller was just changed less then 2 months ago, and everything looked great.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, just got done checking it out a little better.

The belt looks like it could be replaced, so I will get a new one just to be safe.

It definitly didn't have enough tension. I could turn the fuel pump pulley by hand pretty easily.

How do you adjust the tension? Looks like the belt just goes around the fuel pump pulley, crank pulley, and over the idler pulley.

I will also check out the gear oil in the fuel pump. I know I have never checked it out before, so its probably due.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
The idler has an adjustment on it to tighten the belt.
The crank pulley nor the pump pulley are adjustable.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. the idler was as tight as I could get it, so I don't know if I could get any more tension on it. I ordered a new belt, and am hoping maybe the old stretched, and the new one wil be tighter, we'll see.

nother Q,

my fuel pump is exactly like the one pictured in the link (same sticker and everything. I pulled the plug and gas dribbled out. No gear oil at all. this bad? Boat rans like a champ, should I check the pressure?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
speter4205 said:

my fuel pump is exactly like the one pictured in the link (same sticker and everything. I pulled the plug and gas dribbled out. No gear oil at all. this bad? Boat rans like a champ, should I check the pressure?
I would say the diaphram is on its last leg :rolleyes:
Order a new pump B-4 it leaves U stranded

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any benefit going to an electric pump?

This thing is an absolute PITA to start when its been sitting a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where's the best place to buy a new fuel pump, and should I mess with going to an electric fuel pump?

I'm wondering if my hard starting is related to the this fuel pump loosing psi, or if its in the carb? :confused:

I would think an electric fuel pump would take care of it, but if the replacing the stock pump, with new one fixes it too, its probably not worth going to an electric pump.

Any thoughts?

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Its your impeller most likely, pull it and replace it, put a little dawn on it when you replace, will help it spin at start up...

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
Did you try taking the belt off and turning the water pump by hand? Just trying to help... this has happened to me before, and I replace mine every year as well.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep,
I have the belt off now. The water pump turns by hand ok.

My conern is the fuel that dribbles out of the plug on the side of the pump. Also I attributed my hard starting to the fuel leaking out of the carb after its sat for a few weeks. When you start it up, it has to crank for ever before it gets any fuel to the carb. I'm wondering my fuel pump has been weak, and is starting to go out on me? I dunno :confused:

·
Rock Steady
13,139 Posts
[ I just threw in the White Towel ]... Dunno man... :confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts