Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just did new heads on my 454 due to the previous owner selling me a boat with a cracked head. There was some sandish looking stuff in the water jackets and the marina said that it was normal. Any way got it back together and runs great! Had it out 3-4 times with no problems. Today i got my timing adj finally and i took it out. I drove around a bit with no problem then got to a no wake area and idled threw. Coming back threw all of a sudden the motor got hot. Couldn't touch the risers. So i shut it down let it cool a lil and restarted it then the temp started dropping and went down to 160ish. still while idling. So i got it on plane and drove around again with no problem then all of a sudden still on plane about 3500 rpm's it started to get hot again! So i idled back to my dock cause i was close and it got up around 220* and thats where it sits. What do i check first?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what exactly do i check at the oil cooler? just pull the hose on teh intake side of it? thanks for the reply! :)

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
How bad is the sea grass where you saw this problem? Around here all kinds of problems are happening, aside from prop fouling. Doesn't take much sea grass or algae blooms to clog the water intake. Get back up to speed and the junk is pulled away and things will seem OK for a while.

I've been using my fresh water flush on the Formula every time I come back in to clear out the chit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its in a fresh water so i do not have to flush it. the weeds were not to bad but there were alot. When i went on plane it didnt seem to help.

·
I've Survived Everything!
12,273 Posts
35thls1ss19 said:
its in a fresh water so i do not have to flush it. the weeds were not to bad but there were alot. When i went on plane it didnt seem to help.
I'm in fresh water too but I still flush mine occasionally but with the grass problem we currently have I flush it every time I come in. Doesn't take much time to do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts