Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Welcome all.:cool:

Jayl13 hope the new board changes your luck. Please update when you get your starters back. We are rooting for you.

Ron Hill - You are a public school teacher? What do you teach? Just curious as my wife is entering her 30th year of teaching this fall and I was surprised to see that in your profile.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
All are welcome..:D

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
What does Ron Hill teach? After 36 years, I try to teach kids that there ARE rich people in Heaven. I teach that a man can start out broke in America and end up rich. I teach that a man can be married to the same woman for 33 years and still love her...

I teach Junior High...My claim to fame as a teacher is that I was Nicole Simpson Brown's 6th grade PE teacher...

I'm famous in my own mind because I believe that most youths in the country are WONDERFUL... 50 of my old students are teachers. I see my old students, outside of school daily.. I saw two of my old students today at Taco Bell... They reminded me how they "Swindled" into the Anaheim Boat Show, even though I'd given them tickets. They are both seniors, going to summer school, practicing football and working in a local bank...

Why did I sign up for this board? Some how I believe in free speech.... American History is one of my specialities... Especially the true story of Thanksgiving...

Thanks for the WELCOME to the "BOARD"... I'm still having trouble remembering its name...I "hang" at www.screamandfly.com under HISTORY and www.babbittdesign.com under classic outboard photos...

I've raced a few hundred boats in my life and made a few thousand race props.... I think I like this "BOARD"...

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
Ron ...welcome to the forum. I checked out your website and thought your name was familiar. I have a taste of what you say about teaching because I teach Tae Kwon Do to kids one night each week. I love teaching kids and am always amazed at how big these kids are when I see old students I run into. Most have turned out great and a few not what I had hoped for. One things that amazes me is that they always remember their teacher and they always ask me if I still train and I proud to say yes and that I still teach kids. It's great, it challenging and it's very fulfilling! It's really wonderful to watch them develop and improve.

another things that amazes me is how much your area has changed in the last 30 years. I can remember driving from Irvine to Huntington Beach 30 years ago and how easy a drive it was. I travelled to SoCal on business for many years but spend most of my time in Orange. I was out again about a year and a half ago and I was shocked at how long it took me gto drive from Irvine to Hungtington Beach again, how much traffic there was and how there was no open space any longer....

- jeff

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Wow Ron, great reply. I just had my wife read it and she echoed many of the sentiments expressed. Like yourself she is a fervent believer that every kid CAN succeed and has seen concrete results of this philosophy in many of her former students. Like you, we see many of her former students frequently and ALL know that they are welcome in our home anytime. With so much criticism of teachers these days it is really nice to hear from one of the good ones. I wish that more teachers shared your attitudes and philosophy.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Welcome!!

·
Banned
70,398 Posts
I didn't think I posted "MY WEB SITE"...but it is www.hillmarine.com. But we are going through some changes at our shop.. My son, Chad Hill, has graduated from college and is working for Ford of Orange as a salesman. He seems to be making money and working with my son-in-law at Ford of Orange he seems to like his work.

We are actually closing our prop shop September 1st. I, who really started the Racing Propeller Business of Ron Hill Props, will continue to do RACING Propellers for many of my customers and friends. But I will be working out of my house.

Thank you for the very nice words.....tood bad my bosses don't think I'm a great teacher... In 36 years, my bosses always thought I was GREAT. Then, two years ago, they changed bosses and now I'M TERRIBLE....

But, I have a new boss, so, stuff happens....won't bore you but ran into two former (female) students today...in Togos....they are in college and fell all over themselves being nice to me...

Oh quick story about Orange County traffic... When I lived in Garden Grove, I went to Orange Coast... I'd leave my parent's house at 8:30 for a 9:00 class....I was never late.

That was 1962-64, now, the same trip is almost an hour without parking and walking to class... People from all over America are moving to California at the rate of 1,700 per day....hard to believe but that is 640,000 per year and with about 640,000 births, that's how we grow by 1.2 millon per year....those are LEGAL ONES...

Two great days in a boat owners life today... I sold my 20 Lavey (to my nephew) and my son bought my 27 Rayson Craft.... bout owe me, but I sold them!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts