Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just told that I will be layed off July 1st.

Unfortunatly there job market is terrible right now for my expertise. There was an article in Sunday's Freepress about a person in my proffession that is layed off , he has been valeting cars. I've been looking for about a month now with no luck, I keep getting the same answer, "I will hire you in a heartbeat as soon as we get work"
It's going to be a long hard summer, hopefully I can find something under the table , I would hate to sell the boat !

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Thats Terrible!! Good luck to you!!

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
No sweat,,Boatnut hasnt worked the last 2 summers and he still boats almost as much as I do ,,,, just ask him how he does it !!!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
BUMMER!!

I understand your troubles.
My wife was layed off last September and just now got a job at UPS through a temp service. She couldn't find work on her own.
I've been looking for part-time work too but haven't had any luck. You'd think with all the tourism around here I wouldn't have any trouble. NOT!!

Good luck. Hope it doesn't take too long.

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Man that has gotta suck, I hope you find something. Heck ya never know it might be a good thing, you could find a better job than the one ya have!!! Good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a different problem!

I am a mechanical contractor.
I can't find any QUALIFIED help.
The union just upped the package to 40.47/ hour.
Air conditioning/refrigeration service tech.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the replies.
I agree that usually things end up working out for the best.

Baja29c,
I here the same thing from some of my business owner friends, one owns a marine repair shop and it took him two years to find someone decent. Hopefully he can put me to work !!

1boatnut ,
How do you do it ?!?!? I'm freaking out because I can only last maybe 2-3 months on unenjoyment. After that I'm going to have to start selling stuff.;)

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
baja29c said:
I have a different problem!

I am a mechanical contractor.
I can't find any QUALIFIED help.
The union just upped the package to 40.47/ hour.
Air conditioning/refrigeration service tech.
Ahh, how do I get Qualified for this job :eek: :eek: :D
How much for UNqualified help? :laugher: I took a couple HVAC classes in college:D

·
Registered
70,398 Posts
26 scarab, I,m really sorry to hear about your up coming job situation. In my business I have been there too many times. At least you are getting a warning and with any luck you can find something even better before July comes.Contrary to what obnoxus thinks,last year when I was jobless I lost 20,000 grand in wages and was deemed not eligable for unenjoyment by the state.I guess if there was a bright side I can at least thank the man upstairs that I had a bank account to draw from. (Yes HAD)

I hope it all works out ok. I,ll be rooting for you. Try to keep your spirits up,cause I learned once you are beat up mentally,you are just fuc*in beat.I know it is hard,but try to keep a good mental attitude if at all possible.
If I can do anything,let me know

besides sending you money. I'm un-employed you know
:laugher:

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've actually been looking for work for about three weeks now, I heard rumours about this happening.
Even in the bleak looking automotive designer field , there are some jobs , I've actually gotten a few calls back , nothing solid yet but I'm thinking it should be okay.

Usually these things turn out good.

·
Premium Member
7,061 Posts
We're all pulling for BOTH of you!

I keep threatening to leave my job since the stress here is making me grow old way too fast, but I hear the job market sucks even for us computer geeks!

Good Luck guys, and keep us posted. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts