Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have boats on the brain all day. I love it. Here are a few pics I snapped at the shop today...

masking up a boat for some polyurethane to be sprayed on the teak wood. The guys have been sanding on this for days......

(theres my Formula in the background :lick: )

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This one is my project.... The boat ran aground and had to replace the shafts, struts, props and rudders. There was some fiberglass work needed as well.

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
These engine will have to be put back in. There are also 2 brand new transmissions that were bolted on these as well.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Andretti 502 said:
New steering board I had to make up
Hey Norm, isnt that boat gonna have a list to one side now??????

You used 5 screws on one side, and 6 on the other.......

:D :D :laugher: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher: :laugher:

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Wow it looks alot like work when it's someone else boat.
It does look LOTS better than sitting at this desk ALL day though!
Congrats, Enjoy, looks like nice work!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Novice question on the polyurethane. I've only done transom decks, but wouldn't it be easier / less mess & masking to brush the polyurethane on versus all that plastic for spray?

Awesome looking shop and before these pics I was aggreeing with some posts on your other thread thinking you where crazy to be doing all that work mid season but it looks like it's just all in a days work for ya...

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Summer Heat said:
Novice question on the polyurethane. I've only done transom decks, but wouldn't it be easier / less mess & masking to brush the polyurethane on versus all that plastic for spray?

I second that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
RSCHAP1 said:
Wow it looks alot like work when it's someone else boat.
It does look LOTS better than sitting at this desk ALL day though!
Congrats, Enjoy, looks like nice work!!

Except when its 90+ and no a/c.........

·
Registered
10,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Summer Heat said:

This job was done by the woodshop guys. I said the same thing, but there is a system here. The wood was heat stripped with a heat gun and a scraper. Sanded several times down to 120 grit paper. There was one coat of sealer followed by 3 coats of poly brushed on. After that I think there was 3 coats sprayed on after sanding, and then sanded again and another 3 coats sprayed on. Tomorrow there will be a final 2 coats sprayed on for the finish. There is some tempermental dry times with this product. Not regular polyurethane, this is produced by Awlgrip products. This wood work needed to be pristine, and I believe it will be. This will be a 3 week process after it is all said and done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts