Powerboat Forums at SpeedWake banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, we`ve discussed oil filters, now the question: What brand of oil do you use / recommend? And WHY???
I use Valvoline All Climate in all of my cars/trucks, but cannot find 40W Valvoline here where I live. Last oil change, I had to special order it and could only get Valvoline Racing Formula VR 50W...
So tell me what you have had good service with....
And also your thoughts on synthetic oil for marine use.
One more thing: How often do you change your oil and filter?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
I use Penzoil straight 40w which I can usually find at K-Mart. I have used it for over 400 hours on my present motor and have never had a problem,it also has teflon added.
I try to change my oil and filter every 20-25 hours. That is way under what boat engines recommend (50 hrs)

If you do it yourself you can change oil and filter for under $15.00.
To me that is the cheapest maint. a person can most likely do.

As far as synthetic, it is good. I just prefer to change mine more often for peace of mind.So I don't think the synthetic is worth it.

Just make sure whatever oil is used it has the right TCC Rateing.
just my .02

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
Well I hate to admit this but I agree with the nut:laugher: It is one of the cheapest insurance policies you will ever get. I use the Royal Purple syt. but I get it cheap so what the heck. If you use a good brand you will not have any problems :D

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm currently using Mobil 1 in my boat. That said, I believe that maintaining the correct level and frequent changes are more important than what oil you use. Use a quality oil and change it regularly and you won't need to worry.

·
Premium Member
27,558 Posts
I'm pretty sure I used Mercruiser Quick Silver oil last time I changed it. My general rule of thumb is to change the oil ever 30 to 35 hours. I put about 56 hours on the boat last year and the dealer changed the oil, filter and outdrive fluid at 30 hrs.

When I winterized it, I changed the oil again. I thought the 496/HO was pretty cool having a drain hose connected to the oil pan that pulls right through the drain plug hole....until I found out that it took a good hour to drain the oil that way...even with the engine fully warmed up!!!!

I finished winterizing the engine in that dark that evening in November....

·
Registered
753 Posts
I used to run Castrol Syntex with an Amsoil filter,and I changed it every 20 hours.
I think I might change to a petroleum oil this year.
I friend buys the Merc stuff in bulk for his shop and runs it in his 725hp 565ci's so I will probably go that route, it's cheaper.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Mobil 1 15W-50 in the summer, for storage and first start up of the season I use 5W-30.
I know the 5W-30 doesn't offer much protection but after sitting for several months I want something that'll flow quickly thru the engine.

·
Registered
823 Posts
hey thats smart thinking there IGGY, I go to quick lubes and pick up there used oil, that is what I use I change it every 300 hours so far no trouble:D :laugher: just kidding, change every 20 to 25 hours, used the mercruiser oil for breakin but switching to syn. most likely redline or royal purple

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
I had been using Mobil 1 until I started to use a quart an hour. Had a broken ring as it turns out. Not sure what I'm going to do with my newly re-built motor. Have to think about it a while. Will do break in on straight 30w (you CANNOT do a break in with synthetic).

And I do not think the broken ring was at all oil related. My motor sat for many years before getting stuck into my boat. In that time it got some rust build up and the wear factor of that is probably what caused my issues.

·
Super Goon At Large
6,103 Posts
I hate to disagree with ya Foul but you can break in a new enginre on synthetic oil, My new BMW came with synt and so did my old vette. Matter of fact if you look at any Mercedes or BMW or Porche or Viper they all come new with it and these engines are not pre run before they are sent out. They must know something?? I know most folks say you should break in on mineral oil, but all the addidtves in your conventional oil are synthetic. Here at NASA we have done thousands and thousands of tests on all types of lubricants and all we use are synthetics. I know that breaking it in on mineral oil surely won't hurt it, but nay wear that is gonna occur at startup will occur with any type lubrication. Good luck with the new mill, in the end it is all your choice huh????:D

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use Valvoline Racing 40W-Good stuff. I agree that changing the oil is the single most important thing that you can do to extend motor life. As often as I change it, I don't see any reason to go with synthetic.
I've got a 95 Chevy Tahoe with 170,000 miles on it. Change it every 3000 miles. I've never had to add oil between changes and it runs like new:D :D

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
I run Royal Purple 40 weight synth. I still change it every 25 hours so I guess I lean toward the anal side ( no comment Paul ) But cheap peace of mind to me.

·
Registered
70,399 Posts
Using AMSOIL and their filter previous owner started that way so I keep it going. Change every 25hrs, oil still looks clear after 95 hrs on rebuild.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pennzoil 40 weight, Fram PH30 Oil Filters but I change every 40 hours. Have 600 hours on a pair of 454Magnums, 12 years old, still run like the day they were first cranked up with no problems.

It's the frequency of changes that matters. 4 cars with 150k minimum on each with the same regimen, even used Quaker State on the first car to hit 150k. If you start cheating and using cheap stuff (like Fram filters), it will eventually catch up to you. Change the oil and filter regularly.

50 hours is what factory recommends, I assume this is the equivalent to running a car at 60MPH for 50 hours = 3000 miles. But cars run at lower RPM's. If you run hard all the time, cut your oil change interval down to 25 hours.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i run ulx110 its made by a company here in cinti called ultralube. its 20w50 it has a lot of moly added. all 5 of my supercharged engines have ran this since day one. its not a syn oil but it will hold great oil pressure even at 260 degrees. my engines in my 31 amer/orrshore had 235hrs before i took them apart this winter to freshen them. besides the valve springs being shot and needing a valve job the rest of the engine looked very good for the torture that i put to them. just my 2 cents worth.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts